Gut loading feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
We just bought a baby dragon for my son. We are feeding him crickets 3x a day plus greens. I'm wondering what is gut loading feeders? Right now I just throw a carrot in the container for the crickets to eat. Should I be doing something different?

Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Gutloading is filling up the space in the insects digestive tract with good healthy food so they are more nutritious. It's generally recommended to feed the insects the same salad fixings as your dragon. You can also get commercial chows or use Gutloading recipes from online for a bit more rounded diet for the buggies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This is what I do , and it seems to work very well.

I buy my crickets (in bulk by mailorder online), I order more than I think I'll need, you'll aways loose some between delivery and over the next week or 2 or 3 as they age or if some are weaker (sick).

I feed my stock of crickets the following :
- fresh carrot (chunks)
- repcal adult beardie pellets (straight out the bottle)

1 or 2 days before the crickets in a holding tub are used I add fresh carrot , more beardie pellets and a leaf of buk or puk choi.

I find the crickets really like the beardie pellets , I leave the pellets in until consumed (even if they look mouldy and stale after a week).
I replace the carrot every 2 or 3 days (depending on the weather).

I think commercial cricket chow is a waste of money.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I feed my crickets high quality dry parrot food (it looks/smells like Fruity Pebbles). I grind it up in a coffee grinder so its powdered.
I also sprinkle it on the Rankins greens. I haven't compared the dry parrot food with dry bearded food. I think it should be close though. After all, reptiles are related to birds on the evolutionary scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom