Grumpy Beardie !! Got Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnie72

Hi,

Larry is roughly 5-6 months old now. Has never really liked being handled since I got him at 6-7 weeks old. Now he seems to be even more stroppy. Is he going through a teenager thing ? He does the whole back off stuff like puffing out his beard, hissing & opening his mouth. He has bite me a few times, but I have not given in, try not to flinch & still pick him up lol. He is even puffing out his beard with I put his crickets in the viv at feeding time ?? Never done that before. What do I do ?? He is feeding well, temps ok, poops every day & is growing fast !!

Minnie

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
It very much sounds like he's discovering his hormones.
He was happy and settled, then got the big boy urge and decided ok, im going to let the human know I am in charge.

Generally it can last anywhere from one month to six! Scarey eh?
All I can say is just keep up the contact. Last thing you want to do is leave him alone or he will be an absolute nightmare to re-train.

I went through this and its challenging but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

First thing you want to do is stop the biting.

Its a good idea to start from scratch again.

Start putting your hand in his tank, flat but dont touch him . He'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding him (wriggley worms work best). If he goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. He'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling him try it an hour or so after lights out when he'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If he doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dex loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get him out, and let him run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). He'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if he runs around exploring he'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick him up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach hom from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook him.
Lay your hand flat in front of him for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition huim on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means he will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle him remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

also
Just to make sure though can you tell me what size viv you have?
what lighting he has?
what uvb lighting he has (brand is important)

Holly

Minnie72

Original Poster
Hi Holly
Thanks for the good advice.
He has also started to open his mouth and flare up as if ready to bite as soon as I go to open the viv, the little looney tune lol

Here's his set up.

3ftx2ftx2ft viv
100w basking lamp
6% Arcadia D3 UVB
82-84f cool end
92f hot end with basking spot roughly 100-105f
Gradient roughly 84f
He poops every day
Has fresh water, veg every day & a small amount of fruit once a week
Calcium dusted on crickets 5x a week
Vitamin on veg 2x a week
Bath every other day
Good appetite & is getting bigger every day
Lights on for 13hrs & off for 11hrs

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Well that all looks hunky dory. Its seems your little one is just trying to be the big man on campus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom