growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello am john l and am having a problem with my beardies they do not grow. I have them in two different 40 glass tanks glass. I use 75 watt exo terra heat blubs and use 10.0 uvb light blubs across both cages. I feed them romaine everyday and chickets and use repti cal everyday on greens and insects. I give them water in there bowls with water condition from exo terra and use a digital temp and humidity to check temp range 95-100f and humidity is 20-50 depends on when i mist. I use nice basking branchs. I try to do everything right because i dont have a vet near me. But the pet store ladys say its a freak of nature and my beardies are 7 years old. Thank u please help and my beardies eat everything i put in cage but hided chickets.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Hi John!

Sorry to hear that u are having some issue with your beardie's not growing. So u have 2 of them & neither of them are growing? If u could please answer a few questions, it could help identify what the issue may be.

What is the basking spot temps?
When u say u are using 40 gallon tank for their enclosures...do u mean a 40 gallon breeder or a regular 40 gallon tank?
UVB lighting - U said u provide the 10.0 light. Can u please tell us if that is a long tube or coil? What is the make & brand? The best recomended UVB lights are the ReptiSun 10 or the ReptiGlo 8 long tube lighting that should stretch across the top of the tank.
If I read your post correctly, U said that the humidity depends on when u mist? Are u misting the enclosure? Bearded Dragons come from a very dry climate & do not need humidity in their cage. In fact, too much humidity can cause respitory & health issues. I mist Drago a few times a week as well but I do it outside of his enclosure. I do provide a water dish, however I have never seen him actually use it! lol
How long has it been since they seemed to have stopped growing or have thay always seemed to stay pretty small?
Romaine lettuce is not very nutritional for your beardie's. They should be offered a daily salad which should consist of any of the following...mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens, butternut squash &/or acorn squash. There are many others as well. Beautiful Dragons.com has a great nutrition chart which I love because it will explain why certain foods are bad &/or not nutritious.

Sorry to ask so many questions...just trying to help :wink:

~Sandy

slipknot777

Original Poster
thank you guys for the great charts and i never new they can eat all of this and i feed most of that stuff to rexy my iguana. I use 10.0 tube uvb from exo terra and i want to use repitsun 10.0 but i only can find it online at petmountain.com but i don't have a valid credit card. I mist everyday in a normal 40 gal glass tank so i can keep the humitity at gauge 5.0. I feed my boys turkey only on holiday also. Thanks this has been a big help.

slipknot777

Original Poster
Lennifer":5ef70 said:
Hi John!

Sorry to hear that u are having some issue with your beardie's not growing. So u have 2 of them & neither of them are growing? If u could please answer a few questions, it could help identify what the issue may be.

What is the basking spot temps?
When u say u are using 40 gallon tank for their enclosures...do u mean a 40 gallon breeder or a regular 40 gallon tank?
UVB lighting - U said u provide the 10.0 light. Can u please tell us if that is a long tube or coil? What is the make & brand? The best recomended UVB lights are the ReptiSun 10 or the ReptiGlo 8 long tube lighting that should stretch across the top of the tank.
If I read your post correctly, U said that the humidity depends on when u mist? Are u misting the enclosure? Bearded Dragons come from a very dry climate & do not need humidity in their cage. In fact, too much humidity can cause respitory & health issues. I mist Drago a few times a week as well but I do it outside of his enclosure. I do provide a water dish, however I have never seen him actually use it! lol
How long has it been since they seemed to have stopped growing or have thay always seemed to stay pretty small?
Romaine lettuce is not very nutritional for your beardie's. They should be offered a daily salad which should consist of any of the following...mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, turnip greens, butternut squash &/or acorn squash. There are many others as well. Beautiful Dragons.com has a great nutrition chart which I love because it will explain why certain foods are bad &/or not nutritious.

Sorry to ask so many questions...just trying to help :wink:

~Sandy
hello thanks for the chart and help. I keep the temp 95 to 100 degree and the tank is a regular 40 gal glass tank. The uvb bulb is a tube exo terra 10.0 16in.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Glad we could help :wink:

The UVB is extremely important for proper growth so I would suggest trying to purchase the ReptiSun 10 asap. U said u don't have a valid credit card? Do u have a bank atm card? U can use this like a credit card as well. Or have u ever seen those visa gift cards in the stores? U can purchase one of those & it works just like a credit card! The good thing about this is that there is no credit check. It's just like buying a gift card to Old Navy or Macy's except it's a plain visa that anyone can use anywhere. The money u pay for it, is the amount that will be available on the card. Just a suggestion.

Honestly a 40 gallon breeder tank would be better for them because they are wider then a 40 gallon regular.

That's great that u have an Iguana & already have some of those food items in your house for your beardie's! lol

~Sandy

slipknot777

Original Poster
ya i dont have a banking card ill try that gift card at wal-mart. Yes never new the rexy eat food that my beardies can eat too. The reptisun 10.0 cost alot of money? Thank you for the helpful advice

slipknot777

Original Poster
thank you sara and had a question that has been puzzleing me why do my beardies eyes pop out like a frog sumtimes after feeding them?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It's called eye bulging and it's done to loosen up their skin when they are getting ready to shed. Our older beardie just did it and it looks so weird, but I promise it's normal.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom