growth problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimefouts28

I have 2 baby beardeds in a 55 gallon tank mesh top with a powersun uv lamp and a florenced bulb on other side of tank I can't seem to get temps up over 85 on the lamp side. One Dragon is 5 1/2 inch long an other is 6 1/2 inch long bought them in April of the year. Is this normal or do I have a problem.
Please help.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
What size is your tank? You said you have a powersun uvb. I believe that is a MVB and it give off heat and uvb. That one, if I remember my reading correctly, doesn't give off as much heat as the T-rex's and Mega ray's do so you may have to add an additional house bulb, say a 40 watt one to bring up the temps. BTW: What are you taking the temps with? Are you using a digital theremometer with probe? If not, the temps could be off by 20 degrees from what I've read, I've never used a stick on. I use the accurite digital with probe for about $12 plus tax and I put the housing on the cool side and the probe right on their basking spot and I get both temps plus the humidity reading.

I hope this helps a little.

Lori

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, beardies are solitary animals, and should not be housed together, if im correct signs that something is wrong is reduced growth rates, do they bask ontop of oneanother?? or fight about food??

The Poster above has asked some very good questions.
How far away is the Powersun from a basking spot? With a mesh top it sounds like you will need a supplimentary bulb. Also the extra flurescent bulb, what brand is this, is it UVB?

Buggsy

jaimefouts28

Original Poster
They do bast on one another they do not fight about food and the florecen bulb is a uvb bulb.
Have been taking temps with the stick on. The tank in 12''1/2x21"x48''. An that the basting light is about 10'' from the basting spot. Was told they do better when young to gether than single. Are feed greens and vitamins daily and crickets that are dusted with calcium twice a day and as much as they can eat in 10 min.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, what BRAND is the UVB, there are many out there that do more damage than good. Also if you are using a MBV bulb a second UVB could actually be throwing out too much UVB. Too much can be just as problamatic as not enough!

Basking ontop of each other is a sign of dominance, blocking all the good UVB rays from the weaker one. There are many stories on here where babies have lost libms while fighting with siblings, or even worse died due to fighting. Some people have housed them together for years but come home one day to a dead dragon or two. I dont mean to scare you, but for the sake of your dragons its important they be separated. Also if they are male and female, the male will be sexually mature much sooner than the female and pester her all the time, stressing her out, trying to mate too soon. This can be a very hard process on a female anyway and you wouldnt want her to suffer it too young.

Im not sure about the size of your tank, is it possible to put a divider in to slpit the cage in two??

The stick on thermometres can be up to 20 degrees off, so i would change it for a more accurita digital one with a probe. Just be sure to leave it on the basking spot, directly on the spot, for 45 min before taking a reading. If you had a little more money you can get a temperature gun, you just point and click for a reading, they are very good.

What type of calcium are you using, is it with or without D3? twice a day is a little much, 5 times a week (so 5 feedings) when they are babies, and 2 times a week with vitamins, then 3 times a week when they are adult.

ALso what type of greens do you offer, again as there are many that are bad. Have you seen the beautiful dragons nutrition chart? its very helpful and colour coded.

Buggsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom