Growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Definitely the Arcadia T5. It should sit 25-30cm above the basking area. The 13w coil bulbs aren't powerful enough to be effective at any safe range. The 26w versions are OK but are similar to T8 in output around 15-20cm. The T5 bulbs produce a much better quality and intensity of UVB light and are much better suited to larger tanks.

Bellagracen

Original Poster
What would be the best out of a reptile one tube uvb t8 5.0, reptile one tube uvb t8 2.0, reptile one tube uvb t8 10.0, exo Terra uvb 150 compact desert lamp 26w 10.0 or an exo Terra reptile glo 10.0 compact fluorescent 13 W??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Really none of those bulbs are very good. The compact/coil types are not designed for high output & for larger tanks they just don't emit enough UVB.
I highly recommend a long fluorescent tube bulb, either the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube. Are you in the US, correct?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH ok, so sorry! I may have forgotten.
I am not real familiar with the Reptile One. Arcadia can be ordered online from inside of Australia or Europe, that you could get. The Reptile One is a chinese made light & really isn't all that good.
Sorry you are having a hard time finding a store carrying the Arcadia brand, that is made in Europe, too.
Can you order one online possibly?

Tracie

Bellagracen

Original Poster
A lot of online shops that do have that brand don't send to Australia and a lot of them have different voltage? Or something so it wouldn't work here, I'm not sure

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Bellagracen":x16n9ok6 said:
A lot of online shops that do have that brand don't send to Australia and a lot of them have different voltage? Or something so it wouldn't work here, I'm not sure
Birmingham Reptiles (UK) will ship an arcadia over if you email them, same voltage as over here so you just need an adaptor (I bought one for around $10 from Bunnings). Otherwise, you can get a reptisun from Amazing Amazon.

Bellagracen

Original Poster
Also my uvb light broke yesterday how long can a lizard go without one? That's also a reason why I don't wanna buy one from online because it might take too long to ship over

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most places that sell lights online, do a pretty good job of shipping. Can you call around more & check to see if maybe one of the shops carry it or could possibly order it for you?
They can go a little while without UVB, but, for youngsters it isn't advisable unless you can get him outside in natural sun, daily. It is crucial to have UVB exposure for them to absorb their calcium & vitamins to maintain optimal health.

Tracie

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Bellagracen":ojq9zugw said:
Also my uvb light broke yesterday how long can a lizard go without one? That's also a reason why I don't wanna buy one from online because it might take too long to ship over
Everything's just about closed now, but first thing on Monday, why don't you call all the pet stores within driving distance and see if they have a reptisun t5 10.0 and the reflector hood (or an arcadia luminaire t5 12% with reflector, but I've never seen them sold in Australia). If not, then you'll have to get one shipped, so do it ASAP.
If you get any nice weather then you can take him out for some natural sun, but that's not very likely during winter.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":13m8u8iv said:
92478-2506065942.jpg
The tank I'm thinking of getting

2.5ft tall , no matter what UVb source you install, it's going to have a hard time delivering sufficient UVA and UVB to the floor of the viv.

You are going to need a nice long fat climbing branch to allow him climb closer to the UVB source , I recommend the top end be inside 10 inches of the UVB source .

You can probably get away with a 26W UVB200 mounted horizontally in a NanoHood MOUNTED UNDER THE LID <<<< NOT ON TOP OF IT >>>>, better option is an Arcadia 24W T5HO 12%UVB or 14%UVB tube in a good reflector hood mounted UNDER THE LID , again, you will need to let him climb within 10 inches of the tub see'
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

and for desireable UVB flux
t5ho_12_uvb.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bellagracen":mo208zm2 said:

see my thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=221328
I use 26W UVB200 compacts mounted in Nanohoods for my beardies and they're thriving....

If you are in Australia , AmazingAmazon is good for most stuff you will need.
Never had any UVB150s or UVB200s arrive from them broken , if anything they overdo the bubblewrap.
I bought 4x 24W 12%uvb tubes from them (? or maybe someone else cant remember = about 12 months ago but not used them yet ) , they were bundled and wrapped in lots of bubblewrap and slipped into a tough postal tube, arrived in perfect order - not breakages , no cracked tubes.

You'd be very lucky if your local pet shop carries arcadia or Zoomed or Exoterra tubes .
Buying online will be fine.
If you order today , the goods will be at your home on Wednesday or Thursday unless you specify ad pay extra for Express Post.

I bought 4 x Arcadia 24in T5HO Slimline Kits (complete with preinstalled 12% UVB tubes) from Birmingham Reptiles UK and they were great to deal with and everything went well and no breakages. Couldn't find anyone in Australia who had the Arcadia T5HO Slimline Kits at all, could order in but the price they wanted was outrageous.

Was planning on building a three bay plywood beardie mansion (3x 4ftL x 2ftW x 1.5ftT) , and getting some Rankins later, but Rex died suddenly and unexpectedly about a month ago, but the plans are now for just two new two bay mansions, one for the two BTS (2x 4ftL x 2ftW x 1.5ftT) , and the other for Peppa and Toothless (2x 4ftT x 2ftW x 2ftT) , but this is on hold until my mobility improves a bit more.... (all the materials are on hand waiting for me get busy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom