Grey tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyro09

Hello!
Spyro has been really happy and healthy, she has been eating like crazy, regular bowels, and I bathe her regularly. The past couple of days her tail has been a light grey color.. I would just say that it is about to shed but it just shed about a week ago.. Is it possible that it is about to shed again or is something else going on. There has been no trauma to her tail as far as I know! I would appreciate any advise! The last photo is a before photo.
86131-7369398246.jpg
86131-6241468741.jpg
86131-5565582802.jpg

Spyro09

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response! Is it normal for her to shed so frequently? She just shed last week!

syoung27

Hatchling Member
The first couple months of my beardies growth he was almost always shedding. So don't worry! Perfectly normal. They will always she'd random parts, never all at once. It seems pretty common that it starts at the tail, then mouth and feet. Body is usually last.
Ensure to keep it hydrated and pay attention to the feet when they shed to lookout for dead skin getting stuck.
Always use a water conditioner when bathing.
You can use bottled water for the drinking though. You can use a dropper or I usually just wet my hands and rub his nose and try to drip it on the snout.
If your live feeders are well kept the beardie will get plenty of hydration from them and greens you feed it.
I always use whatever stocks/stems I get from the greens and add them to my feeder container along with some of the leafy parts. This way none of the veggies get wasted!

syoung27

Hatchling Member
Spyro09":t3aok10t said:
Thanks for the advise! So it is not ok to just give a beardie a bath in the sink with tap water?

I would advise against it as tap water (city water) is generally loaded with chemicals like chlorine and fluoride which would be fairly harmful to the beardie. Even if they aren't noticeably drinking, they can intake water through their scales "vents."
I don't think it would be harmful once in a while but I prefer not to chance it.
Generally the conditioner takes like less than 10ml for a large aquarium full of water, so usually you only need to add a teenie bit for a bath. A bottle will last for months and they're usually lIke $10. I wouldn't get into measuring it, just try to make a rough guess of how much water you use and what the label recommends.
It won't specifically say for bearded dragons or anything though. The only one I could find was just for turtles and aquatic amphibians. I'm sure what is used for a fish tank is the same as well
I'm not sure what everybody else does though.
For the bath try to make it fairly warm, if you have a probe you can get a temp reading, probably in the 70s would be comfortable. I usually just use the inner of my wrist which is more sensitive, to ensure the water warm and not actually hot.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like Syoung said, they definitely she a lot when they're young, especially if they're healthy + well fed. Most people do use tap water , I always have. but the conditioner is available at pet stores. Beardies don't however, absorb water through their scales or through the vent [ cloaca ] That is an old myth that has been around for many years.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
AHBD":zykb3egp said:
Like Syoung said, they definitely she a lot when they're young, especially if they're healthy + well fed. Most people do use tap water , I always have. but the conditioner is available at pet stores. Beardies don't however, absorb water through their scales or through the vent [ cloaca ] That is an old myth that has been around for many years.
Thanks for clearing that up! Oops. Weird I was sure they could take in water through their vent, which was a large reason for giving them a bath. Guess not lol
Good to know tap water is safe as well...I just assumed and was told by a few "knowledgeable" reptile shops that conditioner should be used. Guess I won't be buying more since my bottle is almost out!

Spyro09

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I have giver her a bath every day since I got her about a month ago.. Always just tap water.. However my tap water comes from a well so maybe not as dangerous as city water? Also I have two fish tanks and water conditioner that has stress coat in it.. Wonder if that would be ok to use.. Good to know that shedding a lot is a sign of good health! I'm doing a good job! What a relief as a first time beardie owner

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know for sure anymore, even though I use tap water myself there is so much bad news coming out about contaminated city water I have to wonder how safe it actually is.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
I just figure better safe than sorry. I know in my city our water is heavily treated.
I assume the conditioner is sold for good reason. It's not expensive and lasts a long time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If your beardie enjoys baths, I see no reason not to give them as I do feel they are beneficial and I have seen proof that the baths help hydrate them, even if they aren't drinking it. I have noticed the fat pads on top of their heads getting fuller during & after a bath and it always seems to perk them up. It also helps their sheds to lift easier & prevents the itching.

I also have always used tap water the many yrs I have had beardies and haven't had any issues. If you would feel more comfortable using a conditioner, that would be fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think it depends on the quality of water in your area. Some areas have terrible water while others it is better. Some of the larger cities have heavy flouride & other chemicals added so using a conditioner would be helpful. Or just get a water filter & use that.
It definitely doesn't hurt to bathe, as I also feel it is helpful for hydration. I have seen my dragons' fat pads appear fuller after a bath, too. That is just observation, but you can bathe just for the sheer enjoyment of it, too. Plus, a lot of dragons tend to love to drink also which is convenient.

Tracie

Spyro09

Original Poster
I have only seen her drink her bath water once! Usually she will just look up at me and close her eyes! She really seems to like it! Since she is shedding pretty often I have read it is good for making that process easier for beardies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom