grettings from so cal =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheungsta

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone...just thought I'd introduce myself. i'm new to the board, but an old timer when it comes to forums...

Just picked up a beardie last night....and I LOVE him!! He's a baby...(lady at the pet store said a couple months old...and I trust her...she's got 8 of them :shock: ) I've got a 20 gal (long) tank w/ a bunch of stuff in it for him. He's taken to his new home well...running around, and even hunted down the random cricket I found in my house...lol

I've been trying to read up on beardies and what i need to get / need to do...so I'm open to suggestions / advice. I've got a basking lamp for him, and he's actually by a window, so he'll be getting daily sunlight as well. I knoe that he needs calcium supliments, but do I need to get multi-vits too? oh, and what veggies do your beardies like? TIA for any help =)

oh, and i named him Spike (i know...a very original name :roll: ... but it's an improvement from what i named my old hamster - hammy :p )

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
do you have a UVB also? even though he is by a window, he's not getting any uv. they can't absorb it through glass. yes he will need multivitamins also. about 3 times a week. are you feeding crickets that you are finding? that's no good, they can carry parasites, and if he's a baby his food should be no larger than the space between his eyes. i don't know about where your from, but the crickets i find around my house are huge. go to beautifuldragons.com you will get lots of good info. there as far as supplements, housing and feeding. they have a list of food items.

cheungsta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the cricket that i caught was just a random instance...as i was walking up the stairs, the cricket was there...i've picked up little crickets from the store and dusted them...i think he ate like 8 already today =P

thanks for the site...i'll be sure to read up on that stuff! :wink:

Shawna85

Hatchling Member
welcome to the forums, Im in so cal too. =)

My dragons love endive and grapes as far as greens, i give them shaved carrots too and yes you've got to give them the multi-vitamins. like it was posted earlier you'll need to get a uvb light. I also like to take them outside for a while so they can hang in the natural sun light. Seeing how we are in So Cal, we get plenty of that here. =) Other then that the site that was posted should give you all the info you need.

cheungsta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the reply =) i was wondering about age / size ratios...i measured Spike and he's about 7 inches...from what i've been reading, that should be about 3-4 months, right? Also, I don't really see him eating many greens...i've tried a few things (including some fruit), but I guess I'll just keep trying a variety until i find something he likes =P

ReptileMom

Hatchling Member
alot of times at that age they don't eat very many greens, if any. just keep pushing, offer them everyday. i got mine to start eating them by adding a couple of waxworms on top. they see the movement and dive right in. they are bound to get a mouthful of greens. eventually he should start eating them on his own. you don't want to give too many waxworms, just a couple. after he does start eating them just offer waxworms as an occasional treat. you could also do this with silkworms.

cheungsta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WooHoo!! Spike decided that he likes romain...lol. i offered a wide variety of greens, and he dove right into the romain...actually made a mess while eating it. i'll keep trying others as well, to see what he likes, but *whew* what a relief to find a veggie that he likes. i tried giving him some grapes to day (chopped up, of course) and he seemed to kind be interested...took a couple bites, but then left the rest (probably cuz he just had a bunch of crickets right before...)

oh, and when giving a bd a bath, how long should I bathe him for? he was a bit shy at first, but then he kinda liked the water...even drank some....

oh...and sorry for the n00b question, but what's the whole "1.1, 2.0, etc." thing that everyone has in their siggy? I'm guessing it's something to do with the number owned or something? just can't figure it out........ :?

cheungsta

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay...these pics are LONG over due...sorry i never got around to sharing. anyways, here's SPIKE!! (can anyone tell me what morph they think he is? i have no clue.....)

him about a month ago (on my laptop, reading on BD.org...lol) [camera phone picture]

SP_A0097s.jpg

him about a week ago...he loves the camera =) [digi cam picture]
DSC03295s.jpg

DSC03294s.jpg

he's actually got much more orange/red in him than the pictures show, especially behind the ear hole and his front legs....he's in the process of shedding (just finished his tail yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom