Great new Bearded Dragon advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickonz

My partner and I recently bought a 6 month old bearded dragon from a pet store. Although we did as much research as possible before buying Jango, we still found ourselves with bundles of questions in the first few weeks.

Our pet shop where we bought him did their best to answer our questions, but openly admitted that they weren't all experts on exotic dragons. And when we tried to look online for information, most of the people were getting angry at others for what brands and what foods they were using, rather than recommending what was actually suitable.

Not knowing what to do, we went to our local zoo for their daily reptile talk. The reptile keeper was amazing! She took us out back to see their dragons and showed us how she baths them- puts them in a small cage that sits on a lean with a UV light and slowly introduces them to shallow water, (videos online show owners shoving them in a deep bath which is quite hard to watch). She leaves them in there for several hours, it is a fantastic way to help constipation and shedding- which is great when your beardie has a temper when shedding like ours!!

One of our main questions was about lighting. We'd been a bit skeptical about Repti Glo lights because so many people were complaining about how bad they were online. However, even the zoo uses them and we found out that all the complaints were from years ago. This was great news as we live in New Zealand and shipping other brands of lights here would have cost us about $300 US.

She also told us not to worry about how stressed people get over pesticides. If you live relatively far away from farmland, wild plants and insects should be fine to feed your dragon. We fed Jango a cockroach before and he loved it- fantastic protein for him and I'd rather not have them around the house!

The best thing from the visit was when she took us outside and showed us the gardens where she gets their food. She gave us dandelines and their flowers, oxtail, puha and wandering willy- (but only a couple of leaves as it acts as a diarrhetic!)

She also doesn't worry about supplements because the dragons were getting such a good diet. And our dragon never touched the stuff while he was at the pet shop. A good way to save $$ with what certainly can add up to be an expensive pet.

I would strongly recommend any new owner to go and do what we did-go and talk to someone in your area who knows their stuff. Every climate is different and its great to know whats suitable in your area. We are 90% more confident with our boy and he seems to be lapping up the changes. Books and internet can teach you a lot but they can't answer all your questions!

nunny666

same here in england,i have to use a reptiglo..i too was wurried,but he seems fine with it so far..great advice you posted...

Nickonz

Original Poster
Heya,
Just wanted to say after some feedback that this post in no way is denying how great the help on this blog is!
It has been fantastic for my partner and I to have somewhere to get advice and learn little bits about these amazing little critters.
But I do definitely recommend new owners to go and seek that alternative source of help. Its like being a new parent, its all good researching on the net, but that face to face individual help is just amazing. Specially if you live in a far different climate like we do!

By the way-the water trick worked like a charm! Jango just did a massive number 2 after days of being clogged up..right down my girlfriends top haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tacobeardie
Top Bottom