Got some Phoenix Worms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxers

Hatchling Member
we just got our phoenix worms, and fed them not too long ago. Razual loved them so much! at first he just looked at them and didnt want to make too big of an effort to get to the shallow dish, so i moved the dish in front of him and he ate one, then i pulled the dish back and set it down. instantly he RAN to the dish and chowed down. he LOVED them

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/thephoenixwormstore/Page?template=comparison

might want to check them out for those who dont know about them

:blob8: COOL!
I just ordered 1000 of them for my 3 month-old and 5 month-old beardies. I decided that I can't stand the crickets anymore!! I hate bugs to begin with and was researching a very good replacement staple to their diet besides the veggies.

The crickets just stink of death and are very nasty and it's a pain to hunt the ones that are hiding in the holes of my beardies' decor so they don't get bit while snoozing at night. :angry5:

Thanks to your link, I found my answer. A BIG THANKS!!! :D Now I can say goodbye to those dreadful things. Funny thing is, I just purchased 1500+ crickets plus a 10 gallon tank to house them in, this past weekend at a reptile expo...oh well. As soon as the PW's come, they are history, I don't care how much money I just flushed down the toilet...lol!!!

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh no! We had left over ten gallon tanks (it has recently been said that our room looks like "the reptile exhibit in the zoo") and just had 300 or so crickets in it... They are slowly dying off now; if some make it to adulthood, they'll be fed to the tarantulas. Otherwise, we wait for them to die and then put the ten gallon out in the garage with the other one.

But yeah, I know what you mean about it being kind of a waste. :| I really dislike having empty tanks... but I totally realize we don't have the funds or space to put them to good use, ha.

ANYWAYYY the phoenix worms are amazing. Miss Lennon wasn't eating her crickets for a day or two, and gobbled up a bunch of the phoenix worms right when i put them in front of her, too. It was great :D

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dragontales":5e82d said:
:blob8: COOL!
I just ordered 1000 of them for my 3 month-old and 5 month-old beardies. I decided that I can't stand the crickets anymore!! I hate bugs to begin with and was researching a very good replacement staple to their diet besides the veggies.

The crickets just stink of death and are very nasty and it's a pain to hunt the ones that are hiding in the holes of my beardies' decor so they don't get bit while snoozing at night. :angry5:

Thanks to your link, I found my answer. A BIG THANKS!!! :D Now I can say goodbye to those dreadful things. Funny thing is, I just purchased 1500+ crickets plus a 10 gallon tank to house them in, this past weekend at a reptile expo...oh well. As soon as the PW's come, they are history, I don't care how much money I just flushed down the toilet...lol!!!

your very welcome! i actually found out of these phoenix worms like a week ago. and i thought it would be good to pass the word around even more now that iv actually tried them. i feel very useful that you would like to try the phoenix worms i recommended.. one more thing, my bearded dragon LOVED his worms and he kept eating them even when he looked full (im guessing because they taste good) so make sure you dont over feed them lol... like a child with too much candy haha

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Haha... I think I overfed mine last night with them but then he kept eating. I have the small ones which I hate and he at probably 60 of them last night and then had some crickets.

I don't mind the crickets too much they are just getting expensive.

UpstateNYPets

Hatchling Member
I have nothing but praise to the mighty phoenix worm. My Zues loves them! I've used the PW's off and on for the last few months and I just recently tried giving him Superworms; he seemed to like them too. Seems like since I've been giving him the worms he's not as interseted in the crickets. Oh if I only had the funds to stock up on the worms.... :| :banghead:

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
some other good things about using PW and not using crickets are: not having to buy cricket food, not having to buy calcium powder, not having to have a smelly carrier or tank around, not going to the store frequently to buy more , and not having them die on you so easily.

boxers":f6c04 said:
some other good things about using PW and not using crickets are: not having to buy cricket food, not having to buy calcium powder, not having to have a smelly carrier or tank around, not going to the store frequently to buy more , and not having them die on you so easily.

:mrgreen: AMEN TO THAT!
I think the cost of the PW's are as much as I would spend for feeding and obtaining crickets. You figure I spend about $7.00, a week, on fruit alone to feed the crickets, the cost of the crickets themselves, which cost me $40.00 for 1,000 crickets, the calcium power/vitamins, it can add up...plus the grief of dealing with them. I can't wait until my PW's come which should be tomorrow! Don't worry, I won't kill the crickets, I will donate them to my neighbor who adopted my geckos :D I may hate bugs, but they are living creatures, too.

neecie

Juvie Member
I've written about PW before.........but to repeat - they are the best!!! no extra food, small container, no smell, no running around, and my Sandy loves them - oh, yea, they are the highest in calcium.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
neecie":29e18 said:
I've written about PW before.........but to repeat - they are the best!!! no extra food, small container, no smell, no running around, and my Sandy loves them - oh, yea, they are the highest in calcium.

PWs have one BIG issue ... To little for to much ... For what you pay for them you do not get a lot of meat ... For about the same price you can get silkies which are meaty :)

And if you can get past the ewww factor Dubias are the best!!! (They have the largest meat to shell ratio by FAAAAAAR)

neecie

Juvie Member
You're right about meaty or not. After having lived in New York City..............can't get past the "ewww factor" in roaches. Don't they run around the viv and hide like crickets??? Why am I asking - since they creep me out and no other bugs or worms do.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
neecie":9c30c said:
You're right about meaty or not. After having lived in New York City..............can't get past the "ewww factor" in roaches. Don't they run around the viv and hide like crickets??? Why am I asking - since they creep me out and no other bugs or worms do.

Ya you have to be able to get past the eww factor to have them ... If you put them in a glass dish they can not get out (They can not climb smooth surfaces).

mrsgeno

I've been feeding Puff PW's for almost 2 months now and she loves them.... I used small but thought they were too small so got mediums and they seemed too big lol.. so back to smalls... now moving to mediums again lol... want to know if u buy small ones and keep them for a month do they grow???

boxers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mrsgeno":fa0bf said:
I've been feeding Puff PW's for almost 2 months now and she loves them.... I used small but thought they were too small so got mediums and they seemed too big lol.. so back to smalls... now moving to mediums again lol... want to know if u buy small ones and keep them for a month do they grow???

im pretty sure they do, as long as there container is moist enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom