GOT MY SECOND BEARDIE TODAY AND SHES VICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i got my second beardie today i was told she was 7 months but she seems to small for me although her head is quite big what should i do to get her to be tame and is there a way you can hold them that they cant bite you???

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hehe you've got yourself a fighter then?

Dont worry, you are not the first one to have had to tame your dragon. Even with the worst behaviour a dragon can be tamed.
When I first rescued Dex (an adult missing an arm) she had never been handled and was pretty much feral. She bit me, scratched me and hissed at me.
With some patience and a few tricks she turned into the biggest cuddlebug in the world who constantly wanted to sit in my lap and be stroked.

Its important to take things slow.
I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:

Start putting your hand in her tank, flat but dont touch her. She'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley worms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. She'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach her from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook her.
Lay your hand flat in front of her for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition her on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle her remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

Holly

Rottipet

My Beardie was the same way when I acquired him, he was atleast 2 years old tho. I followed tips from this group and also got a pair of leather gloves when I handled him. I would talk to him and have my hand in his viv so that he would get used to me, well he still puffed up at me and opened his mouth as if to bite me. I was determined to show him that he wasn't going to make me back down and put my gloves on and after initial trying to calm him down(which didn't work) I just picked him up and held him. He was ticked of for a minute or so but calmed down, I covered him with a small dish towel and put him up to my chest where he eventually fell asleep. I held him for about 15 minutes and put him in a warm bath, of course he was ticked again, but I did that daily for several days, maybe this may have been a bad tactic, but it worked for him. I found out that he hadn't been given frequent baths and the lighting was bad also. I don't need to wear my gloves anymore and Pedro is mellow and loves to sit on my PC table and watch the monitor. I use all tips from this group and they have really been a life saver, I had been ready to give my Beardie away thinking that he was an evil monster. Hope yours calms down soon.

xXDragonPrincessXx

Original Poster
yesterday when i got her home i did the gloves and took her out after some talking with the hand in the cage i took her out and gave her a warm bath while her cage warmed up i put her in the bath expecting she would thrash and not like it but she enjoyed it quite well then when it was time to take her out i took her out with my bare hands and put her in a burrito and sat with her on my bed she let me pet her in places my little gizmo wouldnt like the feet and tummy it was awesome but when i got up to reposition myself she got spooked and hissed at me but i showed her it was okay and that is was just me and she soon went back to her little pancake position and also i have another question she is supposed to be 7 months old well thats wat i was told but to me she seems so0o0o small shes got developed spikes like my gizmo but hes 5 months i dont kno the exact length yet as i dont want to scare her with shoving a big scary ruler next to her but ill try and do it later today after her next bath

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
If a dragon isn't fed or housed properly they won't grow at the normal rate or end up having stunted growth. Maybe that is the situation with your dragon. She will probably grow like a little weed now that you are there to spoil her.

xXDragonPrincessXx

Original Poster
yea thats what i was hoping i like beardies for their size lol but i would still love3 her just the same if she was small lol

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I know what you mean. My nephews have tokay geckos and they think it's cool for them to be soo mean. But when they come to my house and are jealous because they see Scorch and how he is a sweat and cuddly giant. They can't believe that he WANTS to snuggle and get kisses. Hehe I am so :whip: ed

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
i had a cat that i thought was vicious. I called her Syndey.. like the female version of Sid Viscious... I thought it was clever.. but then again i was 14 or 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom