Got my first dragon last Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
I've been a herp keeper for quite a while (snakes, tree frogs, a lizard when I was quite young) and have always thought beardies were just too cute. Well, I finally broke down and bought a little guy last weekend:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/malygos3.jpg

That's Malygos, my 4-6 week Italian leatherback. He's put on quite a little belly since he's been home; he ate about 7 crickets within minutes of first coming home with me so he settled in immediately.

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Fuzzyviper":36qtfmyp said:
That's Malygos, my 4-6 week Italian leatherback. He's put on quite a little belly since he's been home; he ate about 7 crickets within minutes of first coming home with me so he settled in immediately.

Thats a WoW reference for its name, isnt it?

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, it's one of the boss dragons in game (he actually HAS a beard, now that I think about it). I asked my WoW friends what I should name my dragon before getting him and they both went with Malygos so Malygos it is. :lol:

I don't really have any care questions since he's eating, pooping, and basking normally but I noticed some people have blankets for their lizards. Is there any material that isn't suitable for the blanket (I crochet and was thinking about making him a small cotton blanket)? He's just so tiny (4 inches snout to vent) so I don't want to overwhelm him with anything "normal" blanket sized.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I haven't held him for longer than a minute or so to move him to the feeding tank or clean his tank so imagine my surprise when I hold him for 5-10 minutes then he won't go back in his cage. I put my hand in with him, he sits there and looks at me. I scooped him into my other hand and he grasps onto my finger with all four legs. Not quite ready for bed! So I rest him on my left hand and surf the internet for about 20-30 minutes, typing only with my right hand so I don't scare him and he just watches, tilting his lizard head. I decide to try bed again and...he still won't go. I swapped hands again, put his feet on the branch, and he keeps his nails on me and hangs on each time I try to lift my hand away. I eventually had to prod his little feet off me then rub his back a bit. He gave me such a look, poor little guy.

I didn't want such a young dragon since they can be flighty and delicate but he's already warming up to me in less than a week. :D

cook

Hatchling Member
Fuzzyviper":1bbtpcko said:
Yeah, it's one of the boss dragons in game (he actually HAS a beard, now that I think about it). I asked my WoW friends what I should name my dragon before getting him and they both went with Malygos so Malygos it is. :lol:

I don't really have any care questions since he's eating, pooping, and basking normally but I noticed some people have blankets for their lizards. Is there any material that isn't suitable for the blanket (I crochet and was thinking about making him a small cotton blanket)? He's just so tiny (4 inches snout to vent) so I don't want to overwhelm him with anything "normal" blanket sized.

i would use a t-shirt you've worn for the day thats not too stinky for it to sleep in for the first couple of weeks for it to get used to your smell and stuff, then you can get it a baby blanket. my mom got my beardy one from marshalls i believe. just a really soft baby blanket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom