Got a new lil guy...may have taken on more than I can handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMick75

So after our baby beardie died over a week ago we decided to get one that is a little older and from a reputable dealer instead of a petco. I contacted one of the few reptile dealers I could find here in SC and they had a 9 month old male. We drove an hour and a half to the dealer to see the dragon. He looked healthy aside from missing about 1/4 of his tail. My 7 year old was super excited and though I wasn't excited about the missing tail, I figured we'd driven a long way and my son loved him anyway, so we'd get him. The dealer advised me that he's a bit rambunctious and is a jumper.

This was two days ago. The first day he was very skittish, full black beard puffing up, flattening his body out and hissing at me. I began to feed him by hand to try and get him to see we're friends. He's eating very good but hisses, puffs up and attempts to bite anytime I open his cage to put food in.

I asked the dealer if he's got an aggressive personality, he advised me that it's just because he's getting used to his new home. I'm hoping this is the case, as my son desperately wants to have a friendship with the dragon.

Any advice on how we can him acclimate him to us without him winding up biting my son and having my son be afraid of reptiles forever?

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hi there!

Sorry for your loss. Always hard to lose a little one :cry: But good for you for trying again and not giving up!

Have you got a front-opening enclosure, or a top-opening one? If it is the latter, you may be scaring him inadvertently when you come in from the top. They are naturally afraid of predators from above, so even coming from the top with food or treats may be scary for him if he isn't used to it. Also, if you've only had him for a couple of days, relocation stress is definitely a factor, especially since he was with the same breeder in the same enclosure (presumably?) for nine months. He is understandably a little nervous!

Just go slow! It's great he's eating from your hands, that means at least he's learning where the food comes from. :) If you've got something small that he likes to eat, like phoenix worms, try popping one in his mouth every time he opens it at you! You could start by just putting your hand near him for a few minutes, til he seems calm, and slowly getting closer so he sees you're not a threat. Eventually you can try petting him a little, and then try picking him up. If you are afraid of bites, you can always wear a pair of gloves. When you get to the point he'll let you pick him up, make sure you scoop him from the bottom, supporting all his legs and his belly. Hold him close to (or on) your body, and keep a firm hand on his back to keep him from squirming. He should eventually calm down and realize nothing bad will happen when he gets picked up.

Just remember to go slow, and that not all dragons are lovers of snuggles, but you should be able to get him to at least tolerate being handled. As soon as you get him calm enough, and feel confident he's not going to bite, have your son start the same process of getting them comfortable with each other.

Good luck!! :D

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear about your past dragon, but I'm glad you were able to find another companion and give him a good home :D

While I personally have not experienced an aggressive/scared dragon, there have been a few others who have provided tips that I can at least pass along:

:idea: If he's bitey, protect yourself and wear gloves if needed
:idea: Approach him underhand. Approaching from above could trigger him to think you are a predator.
:idea: Approach him with food! Many owners have said that if they are puffing and hissing, they were able to get food into its mouth and it will begin to associate your presence with food
:idea: Hold at night when he's more lethargic to gain his trust.
:idea: Be persistent. I know he's giving all these signs to be left alone, but like a stubborn child, you have to let them know who is boss.
:idea: Give him time. Let him get used to his new area before handling him too often.

He sounds scared. Dragons are very territorial animals, and he was picked up and moved from his comfort zone so he is really freaked out. It is very likely with time and consistency he will calm down and be a very loving pet

Fifi

Hi!

I agree with the others, I think he just might be under a lot of stress. Being put in a whole new enclosure with completely different surroundings is a lot to get used to! However I think he will adjust fine, just be slow and get him used to being handled. My own beardie used to be the same way, very skittish and jumpy. But over time and with a lot of patience he sits and flattens out like a pancake in my hand. I don't think you have very much to worry about & I'm sure your son will bond with him with a little time!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheMick75":1r9wint7 said:
So after our baby beardie died over a week ago we decided to get one that is a little older and from a reputable dealer instead of a petco. I contacted one of the few reptile dealers I could find here in SC and they had a 9 month old male. We drove an hour and a half to the dealer to see the dragon. He looked healthy aside from missing about 1/4 of his tail. My 7 year old was super excited and though I wasn't excited about the missing tail, I figured we'd driven a long way and my son loved him anyway, so we'd get him. The dealer advised me that he's a bit rambunctious and is a jumper.

This was two days ago. The first day he was very skittish, full black beard puffing up, flattening his body out and hissing at me. I began to feed him by hand to try and get him to see we're friends. He's eating very good but hisses, puffs up and attempts to bite anytime I open his cage to put food in.

I asked the dealer if he's got an aggressive personality, he advised me that it's just because he's getting used to his new home. I'm hoping this is the case, as my son desperately wants to have a friendship with the dragon.

Any advice on how we can him acclimate him to us without him winding up biting my son and having my son be afraid of reptiles forever?

He probably hasn't been handled much by the breeder , no biggy , if I can get a very skittish and shy wild water skink to be mega tame and affectionate in a matter of weeks, you can certainly do the similarly with your new boy. Of cause at his age he's rampant hormones so expect some rambunctiousness from him....it's all part of the deal and he'll settle down once his hormones stabilize and he''ll soon be settled in his home and with new human servants.

Just give him a week or so settle in , with minimum touching (only handling him if it's necessary to do spot cleaning).
Spend lots of time hanging out near his tank and talking to him quietly and calmy, let him see who puts his salad and bugs in for him to eat (he'll soon recognize you as the bringer if yummy things, you can try handfeeding him the first few bugs each day (if he's a bit bitey , approach his mouth from the side when he's doing the threat bluff (mouth open , bearding = all bluff , most beardies would rather run away than bite), he''ll soon associate you and your hand with food treats, and then half the battle is over.

If he's a live wire , and you have an area of the house you can make safe for him , let him have some run about and explore time each day in the safe area (UNDER CONSTANT SUPERVISION),he'll enjoy the out time and will be more settled after he's had some fun and runabout time. (Unfortunate that his tail is so radically cropped - you'll no see the happy excited beardie antenna tail routine).

Essentially, let him settle in and get to know you ( tell the kids he's not a toy and can only come out for cuddles and petting under mum or dad's supervision ).

I'm sure in a month or two you'll have a beardie who is tame and enjoys people contact.

When I was your son's age I lived near an area of remnant bush and some abandoned pasture full of dumped buts of building material and full of snakes, frogs and lizards, and all many of 6 and 8 legged critters too. I live in Australia (and reptiles are everywhere here, even in suburbia).
I used to spend hours flipping bits of old rusty roofing sheets, and big bits of fallen bark to catch lizards to bring him as "pets".
Was regularly bitten by wild bluetongues and skinks , some even did the crocodile roll on me.... didn't deter me on jot, even though a good bite from full grown bluetongue skink painful and can break the skink.
Just part of growing up when I was a kid.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TheMick75":3oia3idc said:

I asked the dealer if he's got an aggressive personality, he advised me that it's just because he's getting used to his new home. I'm hoping this is the case, as my son desperately wants to have a friendship with the dragon. <<<< <<<< good time for your son to make friends if meal times, let the new dragon see him giving him some of his bugs .... lizards (all lizards) are very food orientated and soon learn who the brings the goodies.
If he's a brave kid, you could show him how to hand feed the beardie (something safe like silkworms are good - he can sit with the beardie on his lap or chest and place a worm where the beardie will see it as a bribe and pet him when he's munching.
Another good time to pet the new dragon is when he's relaxed and basking , or not long before beardies bed time when he's sleepy.

One of the ways I've tamed wild skinks is to sit quietly on ground near where I know they hang out , and place live bugs on the ground for them to come and take (water skinks love mealworm and crickets and roaches) , your son could try the same inside the house with the new beardie, quietly sit on the floor with the beardie nearby and let the dragon see him deposit a food treat on the floor for it, chances are he''ll come and eat it and then look at your son in his eyes to ask for more. I wouldn't ordinarily suggest giving mealworms (but in this situation since he's 9 months old) and silkworms might be hard to procur, mealworms (just a small number as treats ONLY each day are not going to be an isse .... I have a 6 year old grandson who loves feeding the wild skinks with his pop, his eyes light up when they dash over and eat the worm he tossed to them, and the look on his face that first time he hand feed a lizard was priceless and unforgettable.

In a few months he and the young beardie will be firm friends and sharing loads of snuggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom