Got a NEW Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKRsBeardie

Hatchling Member
Well, my son has done it again. Came home with a, I believe, a Red Phase Sararhan. The poor little thing is almost black, with a little bright orange on his nose. We were told he was dark to help him absorb heat (like the beardie). When I ask my son about his set up he said he was in a 10 gallon tank, on aspen bedding with a hide and small bowl of greens. NO LIGHT! I have been reading a lot, but would like any advise you can give. We have given him 2 baths to hydrate him, his skin looks dry and wrinkly.

We have him a 55 gallon tank
on high quality birdseed (millet)
bowl for greens/salad
I know that he needs higher temps then the beardie 100 warm side - 80's cool side and 120 basking spot.
A hide log, about his size just a little bigger

Going to get him a piece of drainpipe also

BKRsBeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will get a pic this evening. And I forgot to mention I will be using lights like I do for our beardie. Basking and reptisun.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Calcifer gets much much brighter when he basks. He gets dark when he is not basking and his hiding. So them turning dark doesn't help them absorb the suns rays. IME color is all determined by temperature. Warmer = brighter colors. Colder = darker.

-Brandon

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
claudiusx":uppmp3q8 said:
Calcifer gets much much brighter when he basks. He gets dark when he is not basking and his hiding. So them turning dark doesn't help them absorb the suns rays. IME color is all determined by temperature. Warmer = brighter colors. Colder = darker.

-Brandon

Old post but, I agree with this too. Gaulam is always a bright almost neon yellow now that he has shed, when he is basking. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom