Gorilla Wood Glue Makes a Great Sealant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I believe that all the 100% solid water proof (not immersion ) glues like gorilla Elmer's or titebond III are basically the same similar properties and similar compositions (PVA) I think they are so close to the being the same that it makes no difference.

My ideas I have worked with Titebond and gorilla and they seem to be so close I didn't a difference.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Jess4921":2rdk6fou said:
I posted a different thread about this, but what do you guys think about Elmer's Carpenter's WoodGlue Max?? It says that it is waterPROOF, non toxic, and heat resistant. I'm going to use it in a few days to seal Dud's new fake rock.
I've used that before and I didn't like it b/c it dried with a yellow tint..

Jess

Extreme Poster
Really? I'll have to test it out I guess. It said that it had wood fibres in the glue too? Did that cause any problems?

I'm painting mine a tanish sand stone-ish color, so do you think the yellowness would be noticable at all?

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
What about the Poyycrylic SPRAY sealant we use to seal the wood vivs? I was hoping to be able to use this thinking it might be less *slick*.

The problem I am having is that even with sanded grout it was so slick afterwords. There was not a ton of difference between the sanded and non sanded after a few coats of glue sealant :? Now the new platform has steps, not *too* steep and he still sort of slides down them :roll: *sigh*.

I really want something that ends up rough but as flat as sandpaper b/c he tends to try and eat anything that looks like specks sticking out :shock: .

Not at all trying to hi jack here LOL Just sort of on the same topic :D. Now I have this huge nice basking spot but it really is too slick.
I am thinking of putting a coat of the watered down glue on and then adding clean sand till the glue dries and then spraying with the polycrylic to keep the rougher finish.

Anyone else having trouble with it being too slick? Even after just 2 coats it was this way but I want to be able to do at least 3 maybe 4 you know?

Sherri

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I really don't knw how to keep it from being slick unless u were to cut little grooves in it or something.. As far as the polyacrylic goes... I bought some to use but it was soo strong I was scared to use it...

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
how about sprinlkling ... DARE I SAY IT ... sand :wink: on the wet sealant. after it dries, just brush off the loose sand particles. and if you wanted, you could but a light coat of sealant over the dried on sand particles just in case.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
MrWhite":2lxqgayr said:
how about sprinlkling ... DARE I SAY IT ... sand :wink: on the wet sealant. after it dries, just brush off the loose sand particles. and if you wanted, you could but a light coat of sealant over the dried on sand particles just in case.

LOL I know...*sand*. That is EXACTLY what I had planned to do :mrgreen: I just want to use a sealant *other* than the glue mixtures b/c they all seem to leave it slick, regardless. I realize that wood is porous which is why the spray sealant did not make a smooth surface (I did not do a bunch of coats) and that is why I thought it might work.

As slavetoscarlett said, I too worry that the spray polycrylic might be too much. I used it on the inside of the viv for sure, and let it cure, but he does not taste or pick at the viv LOL

Will the polycrylic be safe if cured a few days in the sun? It is 100 degrees here and it will dry fast! LOL I think I will do a sample piece first to see how it would turn out. I still have a few other pieces to make for the viv so I want to get it figured out. :roll:

Thank you! Glad to know sand is not always a bad word :laughing6: jk!

Sherri

Jess

Extreme Poster
LOL, "sand" is the 4-letter-word of the beardie world, isn't it? :wink:

Did you use textured spray paint on your sculpture? I used it on mine, and then I sealed it with Mod Podge Hard Coat. That kind of Mod Podge is known to be especially slick, but Dudley has no problem gripping it because of the spray paint. My other sculptures were really slippery when I used regular acrylic paint, so the textured paint helped a ton.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Well, after hours of trying to figure out what to do...LOL I thought of ALL KINDS of stuff to use :roll: but finally in the end since I really only need the steps to not be slick (he slides down them...weeeeeeeee LOL and the slipping trying to get up them, well...I am sure it frustrates him!) I am going to do something super easy LOL

I will *have* to just take a pic of what I am going to use cuz it is too hard to explainLOL. It is just really skinny, long roughish tile meant for trim...I am going to glue it to the edges of the steps so he can hang on to them, like a ridge...clear as mud?

For the other pieces i have a different idea, but his basking platform is huge b/c of the light placement and b/c...why not??? :mrgreen:

I wish we could use the textured spray paint without sealing it! But it WILL flake off, especially if he eats at it LOL

It may look a little funky...if I had seen these before I would have done it differently but I don't think he cares about that...he will just be happy to not slip on the way up :headbang: :laughing6:

Thanks again!
Sherri

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Lol sounds good Sherri.... Scarlett has just learned to scale the steps lol.... I wonder if u could seal sandpaper and would it b to slick or what about skateboard tape? Just cut little small strips for the steps... I'm brainstorming as I'm writing lol... Just saw my sons skateboard haha

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
LOL...I thought about those strips! Sooo easy, but they only came in black! His stuff is beige sort of like wet sand? Jacob, (our son, it is technically his dragon lol...) wants to do a certain theme type thing but I don't know if we will be able to, exactly lol

So it is a lightish color. White would have worked for the sandy beach look, but I am thinking of the keeping it clean!!??? :mrgreen:

I looked at that acoustic wall and ceiling finish..the popcorn stuff, you know? It would have had all these tiny bumps...but Razz would have picked at every one of them!! He is a picker that way :roll:

The decorative tile section has sooo many cool things...they are so easy now with the mesh backgrounds, there were these pebbles that I would love to put on the wall for him to climb up. There was a good space between each one for his toes...I may still do that :mrgreen: His viv will be better looking than the house we are currently in!!! :laughing6: :laughhard:

Sherri

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
I wish I would have seen this sooner :banghead:
I just sealed 3 big pieces of wood with mod podge. I saw gorilla glue at the store and wondered if it would work, but I hesitated because I never heard of anyone using it for beardies. But I'm glad I know for future reference, thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom