Gone for 2 months!

missjody

Our beardie was missing for 2 months and just appeared Sunday out of no where! I tore my house apart, put signs up everywhere and searched outside high and low for weeks and weeks! THANK GOODNESS HE IS BACK!!!!! Like a miracle!

He is definitely skinny and was completely dark in color when he saw him. I put him in his enclosure on his perch under lights / heat and he quickly got his color back and looks pretty good given the amount of time he was gone with no food or water.

He has been on his perch mostly sleeping and taking in the heat since. He's mobile but staying put. Fine when I hold him.
He hasn't eaten so far. Anything I should do? I'm going to soak him tomorrow and have food and water in there when he is ready.

Any thoughts / advise appreciate!

SIgned,
One ECSTATIC beardie mama

Attachments

• IMG_5076.jpg
    IMG_5076.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Our beardie was missing for 2 months and just appeared Sunday out of no where! I tore my house apart, put signs up everywhere and searched outside high and low for weeks and weeks! THANK GOODNESS HE IS BACK!!!!! Like a miracle!

He is definitely skinny and was completely dark in color when he saw him. I put him in his enclosure on his perch under lights / heat and he quickly got his color back and looks pretty good given the amount of time he was gone with no food or water.

He has been on his perch mostly sleeping and taking in the heat since. He's mobile but staying put. Fine when I hold him.
He hasn't eaten so far. Anything I should do? I'm going to soak him tomorrow and have food and water in there when he is ready.

SIgned,
Wow that is great news- I would offer water on his nose unless he drinks from the baths- offer small amounts of food since he hasn't eaten for awhile- make sure you're using a good uvb- no coils please-- how did you lose him?

missjody

Original Poster
Wow that is great news- I would offer water on his nose unless he drinks from the baths- offer small amounts of food since he hasn't eaten for awhile- make sure you're using a good uvb- no coils please-- how did you lose him?
I'll try the water on the nose
Uv - is Arcadia 14% UVB
He was out of his enclosure and I couldn't find him in his usual spots. Thought the kids left the door open or something, I literally tore my house apart top to bottom. He must've gone into a closet and tucked himself away - is it possible he went into a brumation state?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll try the water on the nose
Uv - is Arcadia 14% UVB
He was out of his enclosure and I couldn't find him in his usual spots. Thought the kids left the door open or something, I literally tore my house apart top to bottom. He must've gone into a closet and tucked himself away - is it possible he went into a brumation state?
Yes but they usually dont loose weight or very little - more dehydrated than anything -- make sure that 14% bulb has a distance of 17-18" directly above your basking decor piece IF its in the tank -- so you lost him in the house and around April?

missjody

Original Poster
Yes but they usually dont loose weight or very little - more dehydrated than anything -- make sure that 14% bulb has a distance of 17-18" directly above your basking decor piece IF its in the tank -- so you lost him in the house and around April?
bulb is above the tank on the mesh... about 12", I can def raise it (been that way for a year)
Yes correct - he was in the house it seems the whole time, was 8 weeks to the day when he resurfaced

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
bulb is above the tank on the mesh... about 12", I can def raise it (been that way for a year)
Yes correct - he was in the house it seems the whole time, was 8 weeks to the day when he resurfaced
Interesting on the date ---- no leave the UVB at that distance if its on the mesh - screens block 30% of the rays but the 14% is strong so its good at the 12"

missjody

Original Poster
Interesting on the date ---- no leave the UVB at that distance if its on the mesh - screens block 30% of the rays but the 14% is strong so its good at the 12"
Do you think a vet visit is warranted?

Thank you so much for the guidance also <3

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you think a vet visit is warranted?

Thank you so much for the guidance also <3
Possibly-- how does his poop look? It should be dark formed and moist w/ the urate white formed and moist as well --- is he eating now drinking? I would give him some time like a few weeks to settle back in and then go from there -

missjody

Original Poster
Possibly-- how does his poop look? It should be dark formed and moist w/ the urate white formed and moist as well --- is he eating now drinking? I would give him some time like a few weeks to settle back in and then go from there -
No poop. No eating or drinking. I'm going to soak him now, hopefully that will help some. Watching him closely

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No poop. No eating or drinking. I'm going to soak him now, hopefully that will help some. Watching him closely
Ok well keep offering him food and see if he drinks - make sure he does not aspirate - if he starts gulping the water down please pull him -- he needs to drink slow --

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby

SIgned,
Crazy, good luck that he came back! So happy to hear about a good ending.

A vet visit is probably in order.

So very happy for you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's fantastic you found him, he definitely looks depleted, hopefully now that he is back where he belongs he will make a speedy recovery 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom