Goldfish -- REALLY???

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Took Tiki for a wellness visit this morning - she's superbly healthy! Waiting on a fecal test result too.

The vet is amazing - sees all kinds of animals and has owned dragons too! She says her dragons LOVED goldfish. Not the size of a koi or anything, just a teeny feeder fish - and they went nuts over them. Maybe one to two a week as a treat.

Anyone else ever treated with Goldfish?

Gail

BD.org Addict
I have one who would eat guppies, I only ever fed her 2 but she really, really liked them. I wouldn't feed goldfish though, they are known to be full of parasites.

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
My main concern with goldfish would be parasites and infections.

Pet trade gold fish/feeder fish are not known to be the most healthy fish in the world.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I was just wondering if the parasites that goldfish carry could be passed on to bearded dragons. It seems most of them need to be in water to thrive, and can only use fish as a host. I don't ever plan on feeding goldfish or any fish to Darwin, but was just wondering if anyone had heard of that happening.

mostlyharmlessnj

Hatchling Member
Various worms from my understanding just need to live in a body, it doesn't matter if it's fish or people or beardie. All kinds of bacteria while may not thrive in your beardie can cause illness as their bodies fend it off. Goldfish eat anything and everything, from their own poop, plastic, and each other.

Goldfish Flake food which is usually what the petshops mostly feed feeder goldfish if they feed them at all are loaded with chemical and artificial colors which they are loaded up on.

Worms at least that I buy are farm raised, while not 100% guarantee, I at least know what's been in their systems before they get fed to my guy, and I know what I feed the feeders to make them as healthy as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom