Going to be getting Dubias soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
I got my Beardie on Friday, and he only came with 20-40 Dubias(I honestly, have no idea)

I have 500 coming in in the next few days. But I am wondering if Dubia's are THE EASIEST thing to keep. From what I can tell they are, and I plan on taking 2/3 of this new batch and put them in a feeders bin and then trying to get the remains 1/3 to breed, and not touch them besides feeding for a few months.

So, are they?

Boss12

Super easy to keep. Just give them water crystal, food and egg crates to hide in. They're super durable. I have 1000 right now in a feeder bin and I bought a complete breeding kit from Twobeardie guy on the forum. They will need to be full sized adults to breed. Breeding is a little bit more work. You must keep them heated. I use a sunbeam human heating pad with NO auto shutoff. It keeps them at 85 degrees or so. No need to spray the tank if you use water crystal. You'll want some decent humidity to keep them molting in healthy fashion. Honestly if you want to breed them Twobeardie guy has a great complete kit. I ordered extra females so now I have 3-4 males with 15 females. This keeps a low stress level and high yield on breeding. I recently had success leaving them oranges or melons every few days. It promotes "the mood" :mrgreen:

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Boss12":3a91vpgi said:
Super easy to keep. Just give them water crystal, food and egg crates to hide in. They're super durable. I have 1000 right now in a feeder bin and I bought a complete breeding kit from Twobeardie guy on the forum. They will need to be full sized adults to breed. Breeding is a little bit more work. You must keep them heated. I use a sunbeam human heating pad with NO auto shutoff. It keeps them at 85 degrees or so. No need to spray the tank if you use water crystal. You'll want some decent humidity to keep them molting in healthy fashion. Honestly if you want to breed them Twobeardie guy has a great complete kit. I ordered extra females so now I have 3-4 males with 15 females. This keeps a low stress level and high yield on breeding. I recently had success leaving them oranges or melons every few days. It promotes "the mood" :mrgreen:

Great! Thank you for the reply.

Where is a good place to get the egg flats from? Cheap too, I see some VERY different pricing on high and low quantity egg flats.

Thanks!

Boss12

I got mine from JDRoaches on this forum. He's who I buy my feeders from $45 shipped with a heat pack. A couple shipments with 0 DOA. $2 for 3. 3 is plenty for 1000 small.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My bin is complete! :D

I actually still need heat tape to mount the UTH to the side where the "homes" are.

20130129_232348_zps46141c07.jpg

20130129_232407_zps03235628.jpg

20130129_232418_zps99eefbf0.jpg

20130129_232425_zps2a9d6709.jpg

unkempt1

Juvie Member
Where did you get the egg crates? Just make sure they don't have pesticides or formaldehyde in them! It will kill a colony QUICK. I know from personal experience. :oops:

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
unkempt1":185pmav3 said:
Where did you get the egg crates? Just make sure they don't have pesticides or formaldehyde in them! It will kill a colony QUICK. I know from personal experience. :oops:

Local restaurant, I would hope they don't! :( Now sure how I could tell if they do or not.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just a little update on how many Dubia's I will have soon.. lol I already have a tad bit less then 500 1/8"-1/4" some a almost 1/2" but VERY few.. like 5 or 6... lol but I have those NOW... I have 30 females and 12 males on order which will be here tomorrow, and now I have 1000 mediums coming in mid next week!! :O

I am thinking I may be needing another bin, correct? Would like to hear peoples opinions on that... It will be close to around 1500 mid next week. I have everything to start another bin... so I am just wondering if I should maybe add like... 100 smalls and then put the males and females in with them to breed and then have another bin dedicated to feeders.

I worry about over crowding really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom