going on hols?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hiya, going away for 5 days well going away on the monday monday and comming back friday afternoon, can i feed my beardies (who r both 4 months old) pellets ? i got someone to come and feed them crickets on the wednesday and ive got their heater and lights are on timers, will they be ok as they are still young so can i give them pellets and just let my dad feed them crickets on the wednesday? ive not fed them pellets b4 so dont know if they would eat them. thanx all :?

Gail

BD.org Addict
They can survive for a few days on pellets but most dragons won't eat them and I'd be concerned about dehydration if they weren't getting water/veggies along with the pellets. You really need to find someone to provide daily care, if you can't find a friend then check with local vets and petstore to try and find someone who will board them while you are gone.

fluffyslipper

Original Poster
hi thanx my niehgbour has agreed to come on the monday and the friday, so its only the tuesday and then thursday that nobody willl be there, they have a bowl of waterr in there that will be changed on all them days, never heared of any vets or petshops borading around here, i live in the u.k thanx for reply :?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardies only 4 months old should be fed protein daily, have you been doing that? One thing you could do is get some repti-worms, silkworms or small hornworms as those can be left in the tank but you will still need someone to feed them daily. They will also need fresh greens daily. If they are housed together and not given enough protein, they may start chewing on each others feet or tail which is a real concern.

fluffyslipper

Original Poster
hi, yes they are house togther at the mo, i feed them crickets every day whitch they gobble up about 20 each, i give them fresh salad which include carrots and parsley e.tc with are given daily too, ive never tried the worms and they freak me out lol or roaches yucky. im really worried as i dont want them to starve and i handle them 3/4 times a day so on the week im away they wont be handled. :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, 20 crickets each isn't much at all, growing beardies can even sometimes eat 100 a day. Are you giving all they want to eat in a 10 to 15 min time frame 2 to 3 times a day? Too bad that you can't handle feeding worms to them because it would actually make it easier on you in the long run and you would be able to safely leave some in their tank. Don't know if you are aware but uneaten crickets will chew on a sleeping beardie causing nasty sores.

In case you haven't seen this, here's the site we recommend for the best greens/veggies to feed: www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html The healthiest foods are printed in green ink.

fluffyslipper

Original Poster
hi, no i didnt know this about crickets, yes i do keep feeding untill they stop eatting, but only seem to eat that much, do i have to pick them horrid worms up by hand? and will they no bite the crickets too? can i get them from the same place i get my crickets and what type of worms are best for them? thanx

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people use big plastic tweezers to pick up the worms and I guess it works very well. I actually use my fingers, doesn't bother me anymore. If you meant, can you keep the crickets and worms together in the same container, no, that would not be a good idea. Actually, I believe the crickets would be more apt to bite the worms rather than the other way around. There are a lot of places that sell crickets and all types of worms, here's one site for example: www.mulberryfarms.com At 4 mo old, you can feed them repti-worms, small silkworms, small hornworms, butterworms, and even micro superworms. Dubia roaches are another good feeder but it sounds like they are something that you might not want to deal with.

fluffyslipper

Original Poster
hi, even the word roaches made me sqirm lol. so can my beardies live on these worms then without crickets? do i just out them in their dish with their salad? x

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you don't want to feed crickets anymore, then yes, you can just feed worms instead but it's a good idea to get 2 different types of worms so that your beardie doesn't get tired of the same feeder all the time. You can either use the tweezers and offer them to your beardie that way or put some in a bowl or even on top of the greens so he can help himself.

fluffyslipper

Original Poster
hi, so i can put them on the top of their salad in the dish? how long do the worms last b4 they die if they not eaten? x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bk8chinhthuc
Top Bottom