Glass Surfing 9-month-old female

LMeaux

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirri
ETA: I may have figured it out. I blocked her reflection and she hasn't done it since. Will update if that changes.
ETA2: It hasn't stopped her. It did for a while, but she is still doing it.
Hello:
My 9-month old female beardie is glass surfing...a lot. She is in the top enclosure of a 3 stack. She has a T8 Reptisun 10.0 (18 inches) about 7 inches from her basking spot. Radiant heat emitter and halogen bulb for basking. Basking spot temp. is 95-100. Cool side is around 78. I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer inside and I have used a temp gun to check temperatures too. Humidity is around 35-38%.

She eats like a champ! Mustard, turnip or collard greens midday along with other veggies like yellow squash, butternut squash. She gets about 20-25 large BSFL in the morning and about 10-15 Large (1") dubia in the afternoon. She doesn't always catch all the dubia at one time, so she may be hunting them later when they re-emerge or I find them for her and let her at them.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why she is glass surfing so much. She only does it on the cool side of the tank. I have checked everything that I have been able to in order to make sure her enclosure isn't the issue. From my research, everything seems fine. But she glass surfs SOOOO much. The only thing I have left is that she just wants out and wants my attention. If I take her out and keep her with me for a while, she will calm down when I put her back but it doesn't last. What am I missing?

Just now, she glass surfed for about 10 minutes then ran back to her basking spot and basked for like a minute, and now is back at it.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My first dragon came from the high school -- it was a summer dragon sitting job for my high school daughter -- we ended up keeping her / him not even sure what gender it was - they said female but the 3 years we had the dragon it never layed eggs or anything so I am gonna say it was a male- didnt know a thing about the dragon and had never even see one---- only that it came in a 20 gallon tank was on sand and it had a red light for night time- I did some research and got rid of the red light - upgraded the tank to a 50 gallon w/ front doors and got a sand mat from Petco -- I found this forum AFTER the dragon passed -- I was devastated could not figure out why the dragon died --- I wanted another dragon but waited for a few months before getting another one - I am chalking the incorrect UVB placement and distance and incorrect basking temps -- I was using a stick on for temps -- I have learned a lot going forward and decided I was going to help as many people as I could w/ what I learned -- still learning by the way --
You probably have single handedly saved more beardies from mbd than anyone alive 🙂

LMeaux

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirri
Being in class is probably the issue, students shuffling in and out every hour or so, lots of people around at once. Personally i don't think reptiles living in class is a good idea, they should be more show and tell. To many chances for accidents and to much commotion. (I'm not saying you do this but) we see a lot of neglected animals here that are rescues from schools.
My animals are certainly not neglected. I have been in the herp hobby long before I was a teacher. I have had bearded dragons in the classroom before. I also have several snakes and amphibians. My students know what is ok and not ok when it comes to interacting with my animals and I am very strict on how they behave around them. Having animals in the classroom is an invaluable teaching tool on many levels, including how to treat them with respect and dignity.

She was much better today with a lot less surfing. Even the students noticed she was calmer.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I wasn't insinuating yours is neglected, it's obvious you care or you wouldn't be here looking for answers. But a classroom is alot of people shuffling and moving around it may make itvhard for her to settle. I agree it is valuable for young people to learn about stuff they may not encounter otherwise, but only as long as the animaks well being comes first. 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom