mochi&ash<33

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
My beardie is glass surfing/pacing a lot recently, he’s 5 months old, I’ve been giving him crickets every other day and mealworms daily and I can’t let him out because I have alot of stuff he can run and hide in to where I can’t get him (he’s gone under the dishwasher and I got him back but it was literally terrifying) I do carry him but I just dont let him wonder around. He has been eating his salad more than his insects and he’s 5 months so I’m thinking it is way not normal for him because he loves his insects so much and he also stops glass surfing if I cover his cage with a blanket. I’m thinking he wants to be out more or he wants to get his reflection.

Attachments

• D4E73B15-D6F2-4C40-8F5A-C2FC3E888E01.jpeg
    D4E73B15-D6F2-4C40-8F5A-C2FC3E888E01.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 4FA4CBDC-BAF0-45E8-85A8-AD941C9E669E.jpeg
    4FA4CBDC-BAF0-45E8-85A8-AD941C9E669E.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 67
  • FBFED401-2DF6-465E-9068-847E9D3BC301.jpeg
    FBFED401-2DF6-465E-9068-847E9D3BC301.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 80

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie is glass surfing/pacing a lot recently, he’s 5 months old, I’ve been giving him crickets every other day and mealworms daily and I can’t let him out because I have alot of stuff he can run and hide in to where I can’t get him (he’s gone under the dishwasher and I got him back but it was literally terrifying) I do carry him but I just dont let him wonder around. He has been eating his salad more than his insects and he’s 5 months so I’m thinking it is way not normal for him because he loves his insects so much and he also stops glass surfing if I cover his cage with a blanket. I’m thinking he wants to be out more or he wants to get his reflection.
Your dragon needs insects every day at least 2 times per day - dusted ONCE per feeding so only dusted in the mornings - calcium D3 5 x per week - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusted ONCE per feeding - I would do that in the mornings protein is his main diet now --- salads every day and its great hes eating salads - the stick on shown for temps is inaccurate -- please get two digital probe thermometers Zoo Med found at Petco or PetSmart - you want surface basking temps of 105-110 try that if hes not staying long to bask at that temp then lower it to 95-100-- hes getting to be a juvie and they dont want that hot of temps normally- please tell me what your using for a UVB--- NO coils they are inadequate and he will eventually quit eating all together if this is what your using --- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb - examples are Zoo Med Repti basking - Exo Terra Intense -- Flukers or Arcadia Halogen -- please no colored bulbs of any kind -- hes too little to be let out on his own now - let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings --

mochi&ash<33

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
Your dragon needs insects every day at least 2 times per day - dusted ONCE per feeding so only dusted in the mornings - calcium D3 5 x per week - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week dusted ONCE per feeding - I would do that in the mornings protein is his main diet now --- salads every day and its great hes eating salads - the stick on shown for temps is inaccurate -- please get two digital probe thermometers Zoo Med found at Petco or PetSmart - you want surface basking temps of 105-110 try that if hes not staying long to bask at that temp then lower it to 95-100-- hes getting to be a juvie and they dont want that hot of temps normally- please tell me what your using for a UVB--- NO coils they are inadequate and he will eventually quit eating all together if this is what your using --- basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white bulb - examples are Zoo Med Repti basking - Exo Terra Intense -- Flukers or Arcadia Halogen -- please no colored bulbs of any kind -- hes too little to be let out on his own now - let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings --

I’m giving him mealworms twice a day but crickets every other day - I’m currently already dusting them exactly how your saying - I have a thermometer gun coming in the mail, is that good to use? - I’m currently using a dual lamp and it is a coil so I will fix that immediately - should I just buy two new lights Altogether? - I have no colored bulbs, I did on the first day I got him but I did research into it and it said they are not to be used so I stopped using it months ago

Attachments

• C1000DBC-AA8A-4112-9BBA-1800A37A58F8.jpeg
    C1000DBC-AA8A-4112-9BBA-1800A37A58F8.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 4BC7FF12-453B-44D8-978A-2C9B5C33B3FC.jpeg
    4BC7FF12-453B-44D8-978A-2C9B5C33B3FC.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 71

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

I’m giving him mealworms twice a day but crickets every other day - I’m currently already dusting them exactly how your saying - I have a thermometer gun coming in the mail, is that good to use? - I’m currently using a dual lamp and it is a coil so I will fix that immediately - should I just buy two new lights Altogether? - I have no colored bulbs, I did on the first day I got him but I did research into it and it said they are not to be used so I stopped using it months ago
Please shut the coil off and get this
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used on tanks of 20-30 gallon anything bigger the bulb needs to be this 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
the placement and distance for the UVB will be determined by your screen --
please no more meal worms - they can impact your baby as the exoskeleton on the meal worm is too harsh on their stomachs - feed only the crickets as a staple feeder for now --- you can order him some BSFL from here order large and do not dust them www.symtonbsf.com -- those are a good staple feeder - also I would look at switching him over to dubia roaches - they are a better feeder and cleaner insect - easier to care for dont die off as quickly and they dont chirp -- you can get both of these along w/ some super worms and some horn worms - the super worms can be used as treats added to his salad every other day 1-3 order medium size - the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow really fast so order small amounts and feed them 1-2 everyday till gone - you dont want them outgrowing him - you can order small ones and grow feed them as they get a good size to feed -- the BSFL are known on this site as nutri grubs --- www.dubiaroaches.com - go by the chart for the roaches and order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes --
the IR gun is good but will not read off of certain materials -- please get the probes as well they are the most accurate

mochi&ash<33

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ash
Please shut the coil off and get this
24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used on tanks of 20-30 gallon anything bigger the bulb needs to be this 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
the placement and distance for the UVB will be determined by your screen --
please no more meal worms - they can impact your baby as the exoskeleton on the meal worm is too harsh on their stomachs - feed only the crickets as a staple feeder for now --- you can order him some BSFL from here order large and do not dust them www.symtonbsf.com -- those are a good staple feeder - also I would look at switching him over to dubia roaches - they are a better feeder and cleaner insect - easier to care for dont die off as quickly and they dont chirp -- you can get both of these along w/ some super worms and some horn worms - the super worms can be used as treats added to his salad every other day 1-3 order medium size - the horn worms are a hydrating worm and grow really fast so order small amounts and feed them 1-2 everyday till gone - you dont want them outgrowing him - you can order small ones and grow feed them as they get a good size to feed -- the BSFL are known on this site as nutri grubs --- www.dubiaroaches.com - go by the chart for the roaches and order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes --
the IR gun is good but will not read off of certain materials -- please get the probes as well they are the most accurate
Ok thank you I will do this right now. Also for the roaches and crickets how many should I feed daily?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
At 5 months old feed as many as your beardie will eat in 10 to 15 minutes twice per day. At that age they are still growing and need protein to do so. Once they are no longer putting on size you can scale them back.
But you have got to get those lights in order asap. It can and will do irreparable harm if you don't.
Just follow karrieree's advice and you will be good

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom