Glass or Plexiglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardielovers

Hatchling Member
Just wondering what people are using for the "glass" in their vivs? Are you using glass or plexiglass? If glass, would you recommend tempered glass? Which option is cheaper? Any advantages of either material - other than the obvious possibility of glass breaking. :) Lots of simple questions, but I'm close to needing to make that decision for our new viv. Thanks.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Plate glass is the cheapest but breaks very easily. Tempered glass is very expensive and has to be made to the size you want, it can't be cut. Plexiglass is expensive and scratches, but is easy to work with. I like it best if you weigh out all the advantages and disadvantages.

shanerp69

All our 48Lx24Hx30D tanks that I build I decided on using some storm windows I found at Menards for about $30, it was the easiest and cheapest option I found

hey whats up. i assembled justin bobby's enclosure today and i used plexiglass. well 2 pieces. okay the first piece, i pre drilled holes and used slightly larger screws to attach it to the plywood and it crack. so on the 2nd piece i pre drilled smaller holes and used paneling nails, lots of them. this worked well, no cracks. but i just had to add a corner moulding to add extra support. mine is 36x18x18...

just working on the lid now, and then its finally done!! here's a not so good picture i took with my cell phone, ill post better ones though in the vivs pics thread...
oh yeah this was the first attempt, the cracks just got worse so we just used this piece as practice for the 2nd lol

photo4.jpg

mishelly58

Hatchling Member
I used plexi glass, and the front door swings down so that I can reach in not down from the top. i predrilled holes and used hinges, then i framed the plexi glass and added a clasp on top and a magnetic latch so it will stay up even if i don't latch it right a way. I find this so much easier. Here's a picture:

forum003.jpg

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
1/4 inch glass .
Had a local glass shop cut 2 pcs for me 22x16 for 29.00.
doesn't scratch like plexi glass and won't get cloudy like plexiglass :blob8:

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I'm building 2 more vivs and decided to try glass. I get it home, cut grooves in some wood for the outer edges and handles and I don't think it's going to work. First, its heavy and brittle. If I ever decide to move the cage and it flex's a little, it's going to break. Second, the edges are sharp and will dig into the bottom unless I use track or something hard under the bottom. Third, if I hit it with a tile or elbow while cleaning, its going to break. It's cheap, yes... that exactly. I would use it if I were going to frame it, but I don't want to. I want clean, clear edges, not a window. So it looks like I'll be buying more acrylic. It's resilient, light weight, safe, durable and looks great. My .02

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Glass is heavy i agree .
(1) if a glass shop cut's it they will buff the edges no sharp corners
(2) 1/4" plate class is very durable fish tanks????
(3) glass tracks are cheap 6.99 per pair (http://www.doitbest.com)
(4) dragons have claws and like to cage dance scratches acrylic or plexiglass.
(5) plexiglass will cloud up after time
But bottom line folks you need to use your judgement and make the decision.
I chose glass because i have had african cichlid tanks for years .
African cichlids require lot of hiding space (large rocks)
I have bumped the side of the aquariums many times and never have broken a tank.

They also sell glass tracks at http://www.rockler.com (12.99) 1 yr ago
This is just my opinion but do what you think works best for you.

lunatix

I will be building 2 enclosures soon 48x24x24 and hands down will be using GLASS not Plexi. Since I work at a Glass factory I know the pros and cons. I can even get some nice metal rails with a lock. I might use 3/16" tempered with the edges polished and finger pulls. Plexi will scratch and look dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom