Giving it another go over a year later. Adopting a Lady!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaaeee

Yes. Another go. My previous bearded dragon, Mushu, passed away shortly after I bought him from PetSmart. Now that I'm an employee of the company I know that poor husbandry prior to coming home could've been the cause. I was heart broken, but now over a year later I'm ready to try again!

A few months ago we had a customer who was a young boy return his bearded dragon because she was "mean". Because she was much larger than all the rest we were unable to put her on the sales floor. Not to mention her attitude did seem poor due to lack of handling by her previous owner. She flared up every time from being picked up overhead. Though her bark was bigger than her bite, we knew she would need a special home due to her "flaws". We tried to show her to various customers in hope that someone would be interested, but we all loved her so much that it seemed no one could fit the bill Needless to say that after 5 months of being at the store, I knew there was no better home for the Bearded Lady than with me. My coworkers agreed. Initially I wanted a "pretty" dragon. Fancy colors. The works. But there's something about this normal girl's feistiness and attitude that captured me. I was ready to take her home!

That's when things started getting rocky. The week of her adoption I went to visit her after my shift as usual, only to find her hunter-green, half undigested, poop covered in worms! Now, it could have been fly larvae which we've seen before, but to be sure we scheduled her for a vet visit. She had been getting double doses of wax worms from everyone in the store spoiling her without knowing it. So we assumed she was just chunky, instead her tummy was heavily infested with parasites. Four weeks of treatment later & my girl is almost ready to come home! One more vet check up & I'll be a beardie mama again. I'm beyond excited. She'll live with two dogs, a ball python, a western toad, 2 hermit crabs, & some fish. :)

Congrats on your new family member. What a lucky girl to have someone caring enough to take the time and love to give her. I wish you all the luck on your journey together. I am soo glad you decided to give it a try again. I know how much anxiety goes with it as I too went thru the same thing with my 1st beardie who passed after only 5 weeks with me. But I saw it as learning experience and now have Belle, who is spoiled rotten, happy and healthy.

dizzythekid

Good thing she's doing better! I lost a dragon after 8 years of companionship, we grew up together. It was devastating. It's been a couple years now and I think I may be ready to move on as well.

Have fun with her!

Yaaeee

Original Poster
Thank you all. My condolences to you both. I find that time, whether it be a week or a year, with your dragon is time that is priceless. They grab your hearts immediately. I'm so excited to bring her home, but unfortunately she has to have another vet visit as they believe she still has parasites after her 4 weeks of treatment. :( so it'll be a little more time. We find out later this week our plan of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom