Getting worried

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I know they tend to slow down for various reasons and will pretty much stop eating just because the can but I'm starting to get worried.

Nova is about 9 months and has all but stopped. If she eats, it's less than half her salad, only two or three dubias and was eating worms okay but wasn't really interested yesterday. She's *barely* eating anything but is gaining weight. She's gained 30 grams in just a few days. How does that make sense.? Ive felt her belly and don't feel eggs but we're worried somethings wrong. We put the tube light uvb up and she does *not* like it. She stays super dark and streaked up the whole time but when we put her powersun back, she lightened up but wouldn't bask because it made her spot way way too hot. We think she suffers from anxiety, anytime we adjust anything in her tank, she looses her mind and stays really dark for a few days but this has been like two weeks. And there may be a possibility She's having a hard time adjusting to the babies but she doesn't turn black or puff up at them, she will just look at them, even if we have her and a baby out. (We don't put them together, the babies are too stressed) She's acting okay, otherwise. She will lighten up when we take her out and she runs around a bit. (She's never been super active) amd has been pooping normal, except for today. It was much smaller, not like her usual cat sized poops.

What do we do about the eating.? Should we just let her be and she'll eat what she eats, even if it's just two or three dubias or just a few worms.? Or should we take her to the vet.?

Attachments

• 20230405_193554.jpg
    20230405_193554.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 58

LindsayO

Beardie name(s)
Ash
I would take her and a fecal sample to the vet. Babies that age normally don’t have any issues eating. You might also want to check the guides on here to make sure you have the proper heat settings, lighting, etc. They have to bask in order to digest food and eat so that *might* be the problem. Either way I would definitely take her and a fecal sample to the vet (bag up the sample in a plastic baggy and note the date & time it was collected. Store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re able to get an appointment or drop off the sample). I hope you can get something figured out for her!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love that smile 😃. They go through soells like that, Snicker Doodles has just started taking bugs again, it's been since October or November since she wanted them. They won't starve themselves.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I would take her and a fecal sample to the vet. Babies that age normally don’t have any issues eating. You might also want to check the guides on here to make sure you have the proper heat settings, lighting, etc. They have to bask in order to digest food and eat so that *might* be the problem. Either way I would definitely take her and a fecal sample to the vet (bag up the sample in a plastic baggy and note the date & time it was collected. Store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re able to get an appointment or drop off the sample). I hope you can get something figured out for her!
Her basking temps have always been good, she's preferred it closer to 100 at most but when we had the powersun and her basking bulb, they got to like 120😩 so we put the tube light back and she doesn't like it. But she'll go through days where she spends most of her time sitting in her sandbox, and the sand makes her cold and I just can't win with her.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I love that smile 😃. They go through soells like that, Snicker Doodles has just started taking bugs again, it's been since October or November since she wanted them. They won't starve themselves.
It sure seems like she's trying to starve herself -- despite gaining weight still. 😅😑 she did eat like seven silkworms so I think we're going to switch her to a staple of silkworms and hornworms, it's the one things we *know* she'll eat. I wasn't super worried until she turned her nose up to superworms and her salad, they're typically one of her favorites. We're going to be moving her into a bigger tank today so hopefully, once she gets through her world crashing down of her stuff moving, she'll eat a little better. I keep feeling for eggs and don't feel any but chris swears she's going gravid, but she's not eating enough for it.

So do I just feed her whatever she'll eat and otherwise let her be.? What about her not really eating her salads.? She doesn't like bee pollen or things on them, just calcium powder.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Her basking temps have always been good, she's preferred it closer to 100 at most but when we had the powersun and her basking bulb, they got to like 120😩 so we put the tube light back and she doesn't like it. But she'll go through days where she spends most of her time sitting in her sandbox, and the sand makes her cold and I just can't win with her.
You should be using a clear solid bright white basking bulb-- a tube light tells me that's a uvb bulb-- w/ the powersun that is good for basking but too much wattage at 120- she needs both the tube light and clear basking bulb-- please get that adjusted - what brand and bulb for uvb please?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You should be using a clear solid bright white basking bulb-- a tube light tells me that's a uvb bulb-- w/ the powersun that is good for basking but too much wattage at 120- she needs both the tube light and clear basking bulb-- please get that adjusted - what brand and bulb for uvb please?
I'm not sure on the brand but it's a 10.0 t5 12% uvb bulb and a thrive 50w basking bulb. Her lighting and temps have always been good -- save for when we tried the powersun with her basking, that was the only time it was off. Currently, her surface temp is 100, 101. The only sure thing she'll eat right now is silk worms.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If she is eating those, it's ok. Silkworms are a very good staple

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom