getting ready to brumate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmar

my beardie is about 15 weeks old, he's perfectly healthy and lately he's been going under neath his flat log during the day and staying there for most of the day. He is eating like normal and basks for a while then goes under his log. i put him back in his basking spot but he just returns under his log after a few minutes. Is he getting ready to brumate?

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, I have a brumating dragon currently. Yours might be but it's hard to tell since he's on the younger side. Does he still have an appetite and does he nap frequently during the day? Is he acting more lazy?

newmommy

Hey,

I am going to step in and ask if mine may be doing the same thing. I have also put in a discussion under Beardie ER because I am new to this whole thing.(It was under So many issues) I didn't know it would be this hard to get everything right. I mean I know it is only a few things, but so many things have to be perfect! Anyways my beardies basking temp is about 100 with a 100 degree black bulb. He is constantly on his log right under the light. He has a good appetite, and loves to be misted. His colors are also dark when I pick him up, whatever that means. He did just recently shed some. But he is always sleeping there, and when I pick him up, he is so limp and comfortable.

Also I know I have only had him for two weeks-but can anyone tell me if it is normal for him to be looking at me as if he still does not know who I am. He also has a really blank stare to him sometimes. I once wondered was he blind--but he can find his crickets!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
For the O/P : as said 15weeks is far too early to bruminate, the rule is 1yr or older, but some have been starting at 8 months. What brand of UVB are you using, and is it a ciol or a compact light? Also what are the temps of the tank and what are you measuring them with??

For newmomma: For the heat light, it should be a bright white light, not a black one, as they need the bright light to both protect their eyes from the uVb rays and to simulate the sun!

Blank stare is sometimes normal, but too often could be a sign of something more serious. Mu female will blank stare if i am offering veggies (she's just ignoring me really!)

But being dark and limp is really not good. What are the temperatures in the cage, and what are you measuring them with? Also are you using a UVB bulb??

B

newmommy

Buggsy-or anyone else who could add some info,

Two days ago I finally started using the UVB bulb because his back legs were shaking. Unfortunately we only got the 5.o because we heard the 10.0 was way too hot. These lights are $50 bucks at Petco and we will have to wait at least a month until we can afford another one. Unless can anyone tell me where they get their lights for cheaper? Anyways the shaking has stopped and it is almost as if his back legs are getting stronger. So happy.

As far as the temperatures: We were sold a sticker temperature gauge and told not to stick it that way we could move it around. (This is why I am constantly playing with the temperature and the sticker--I want to get it right) However, the basking now I have moved it to a white 100 watt bulb and I turned it on this morning and literally three hours later to my suprise--his whole body was shedding! Could this be why he has been somewhat sluggish, getting ready to shed maybe?

As far as the temp also: How do you all get one side of the cage cooler? I have a 30 gal tank, I think, and it has two dome lights on top. Should I only use one light--over his log to bask? And then at night turn that off and light the other side but cooler so it feels like it cooled down in the desert? The temperature thing is turning out to be the biggest challange for me.

And how often, since he is not acknowledging his water bowl, should Ibathe him or give him water? I don't want to dehydrate him, but Idon't want to give him too much water either.

Also how/when will he start eating his veggies? He is only 3 1/2 months and I have only had him for two weeks. But he did eat some baby food today.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
generally uvb lights do not put out alot of heat,which is why a reg household bulb is nessasry to get
temps right.how big is your viv?Why did u wait till beardie was shaken to use the UVB?
beardies need the uvb to live.a repti sun 10.0 is available at most online pet centers for about $40.
beardies do not drink from water bowls to often..thats why its good to bath regularly.
They sell probe type temp guages at walmart about $12.00 the stick on typ can be way off.

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
OMG!That is just horrible.Some people will tell u anything to get their buck.
I am so glad this site is available to help n guide new owners n not so new owners about the proper care for beardies.
I think it should be mandatory that if u work at a pet store thatsells beardies u have to be a member of this site for at least 6 months!

salmar

Original Poster
whoa, i just fill in his hole with sand so he can't go in anymore because i heard that young beardies sometimes like to hide, and now he basks regularly.

newmommy

malibusmom,

Yep that is why; the store clerk told me that they would not need one until they are 6 months old and even then they don't need one unless their legs were shaking. He also told me that they would try and tell me that I would need a 10.0 because they say that is like the desert but it really is too hot, so I only got the 5.0.

We are going to get the probe temperature thermometer at walmart. I think he may have bulged his eye because he was getting ready to shed. He did so today. Also since I have switched the bulb to a white one he has been more alert and once again watching us.

Are we supposed to turn the temp down at night. I am wanting to turn his basking light off and the light on the other side of the tank on but on a much cooler temp, is this okay? I did this last night and he still stayed on his log under his basking light. I think it may be becuase this is the log where he feels comfortable. Also, he constantly stays there; I have not seen him going from side to side of the cage where he can regulate his temp---he only stays on his log. What type of things can I put down for him to sleep in. Like I saw in here somewhere that someone used a shoe box?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
You should turn off all lights at night. Unless the temps in your house get below 65*F, you don't need any additional heatsource.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear youve got the info you needed here! sorry i was late lol!!

Yes i would take the 5 back and tell them you want a refund due to a mis-sale by the shop assistant, as you have only used it for a day or two this shouldnt be a problem! (if they start to argue tell them the assistant really doent not know the product as it doesnt produce heat, but the '5' corresponds to the UVB emmissions, which are far too low for a desert reptile You can also argue with them about the info you were given. i did this to the pet shop i bought Gizmo from and got some freebies to stop me taking legal action.

I would remove the sand though, as its a high impaction risk for young ones, perhaps when they are older ( i give gizmo a plastic box of sand so i can easily clean it up, and it gets covered when she has food. Its the little things you can do that decrease the risk, but i would never do it for a baby. I know many of the breeders dont like to give hides to little ones as they are skittish anyway and wont get the UVB they need. I would give him a soft blanket in the corner he sleeps, that way he will feel snug but its safer for him.

Yes all lights should be turned off at night so they can get a proper nights sleep. If it does get below 65f you can get a ceramic heat emmiter, wich produced heat but no light to bupm the temps up.

Im glad he is already doing better, but im sure he still has alot of room to improve!! Shedding can effect their temperment but they shouldt be shaking or hinding in the cool area! But glad hes doing it for you now!!

I would make sure you are giving him the right calcium and vitamins, as he was having the shakes, you dont want him developing metabolic bone disease...You want a calcium WITH d3, and a multivitamin. Perhaps the guys over there oin the US could give you some links!

newmommy

Thank you Bugsy and Sara. I love this site and will continue to use it--especially until I am comfortable with taking care of my little one. I am going to try and get the new light, we are going to get a new thermometer today, and I think I am going to change his substrate.(that is what you all call the poop shield right--poop protector)

What thermometer is best? I know many people have said you can buy it at walmart.

What substrate is best for a baby bearded. He does sometimes lick his sand which worries me. It is the calci sand though. But I would like to change it. I'm thinking paper towels, anyone have anything to add to that?

Also, should I get a UVA light too?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Your right to change the sand, calci sand is actually worse for them than the normal kids sand!! Other alternatives are sinple as paper towels, or tile is a faverote of mine! When she was little, i used to buy a roll of wallpaper (the kind without the adhesive) and cut it inot cage sized pieces. That way when she had a poop/ got in a mess all you had to do was remove that piece, and put another in. Repti carpet is also very good as it can go in the dishwasher from what ive read.

UVA is just the heat light, so a regular incandecent house bulb should be fine, but it must be bright white, as their eyes need the protection from the UVB rays.

The thermometre is the acurite brand, and i think its found near the gardening section, but im not 100% on that.

newmommy":4e496 said:
that is what you all call the poop shield right--poop protector)
Lol im not sure ive heard this one around, but it did make me chuckle!!

Hope that helps! When you get this sorted he should bounce back, but they are very important! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom