Getting ready for our first Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKhawk01

Hi my wife is getting a beardie for a class pet. We are going to get a young one and keep it at home for the first few months, handling it a lot to get it good and comfortable around people. After haunting this site for a few weeks and getting ideas, I built an 4'x2'x2' enclosure and a fake climbing rock for it. I am a little concerned that the grout on the fake rocks may be to ruff and hurt the bearded dragon. Does it look ok or do I need to make it smoother? Thanks for the help.
Terrence

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Hi and Welcome!!! That is really cool!!! You did a fine job!!! I don't know much about diy rock work, but I've read that if it feels really rough on your palm, then that is what it will feel like on the bd's belly. If it scrapes you, it will scrape the bd. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. Just wanted to say, Good Job!!! :D

smurfthebeardie

Juvie Member
It may be a little rough, but remember that nails don't file themselves. Soft substrate can keep a BD's toenails too long.

TKhawk01

Original Poster
In some places its pretty ruff and will scrape my hand so I guess I'll sand it down some tonight and reseal it. Thanks for the input.

TKhawk01

Original Poster
Yeah its a little big, but he loves it. We didn't have the money to set up a small viv and then in a few months redo it all. The only problem we foresaw was him not being able to catch the crickets, so we have been hand feeding.

jjkc

don't have to hand feed just get a rubbermaid container and feed him in there so you don't have to worry about any crickets being left in the enclosure. Works out very well I have been doing it for a few weeks now and don't know why i didn't do it from the start. If you hand feed to much that is what he will expect. They eat alot to hand feed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom