Getting puff out in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Hey All,
It's been awhile since I have been on here been just busy visiting friends and family and starting a business. I did try to search for this question so sorry if I missed an answer or post, I did try to search as many different options as I could. I would like to get puff out to spend some time with him but it's been really cold lately. Room temp is 70. I saw some where on this vast internet someone used hot hands hand warmers (that last 10 hrs). Anyone use these? I have a temp gun and would put it in a knitted pouch to protect from burns of course. I'm mainly asking the people that I have seen post on her that let their beardies out a lot. Do you let them out the same amount of time when it get colder? I just feel bad cause he just lays there (could be brumation) but he is awake just doesn't move much (which could still be a sign, I have read). I guess my main question is can he be out and about in a 70 temp and how much time should he be getting to bask? He is 5-6 years old 20" long. He's been his dark brown color a lot but a few times he'll turn his golden yellow. I'm thinking it's a temp thing cause when he gets his bath is when he mainly changes. Sorry I'm rambling. Oh I do have his lights timed to the sun so on about 6:30-7am off at 5:30pm.

Questions again
1) Do you let your beardie run around out of his enclosure in the winter?
2) Anyone use the hand warmers?
3) Since they don't sense heat well through their belly's can one be placed on top on him? I've seen him wedge himself under the rice pack.
4) Can he be left to run around in the 70 degree room? For how long?
5) How much basking time should he get? EX: out for an hour bask for hour etc?

thanks again in advance

triumphtt":25ja0raw said:
Questions again
1) Do you let your beardie run around out of his enclosure in the winter? My house gets around 68-70 in the winter, I let my guy out as long as he wants to run around, and when he stops I usually put him back to bask if it's not before bed. So usually about 15 minutes out, and then back to bask and warm up. Obviously I give him 2 hours after he eats to bask. Sometimes I hang his 50 watt off the handle of my dresser (with me there watching obviously) to make a warmer area on the floor he can go back to if he gets cold. At night I just let him cuddle under the covers with me while I watch tv and he seems plenty warm and content like that :)

2) Anyone use the hand warmers? Never tried but I'd just be scared, those things get reaaalllyyy toasty.

3) Since they don't sense heat well through their belly's can one be placed on top on him? I've seen him wedge himself under the rice pack. Again I personally wouldn't risk it unless you're taking him somewhere he would have no access to a basking light, like a friend's house. But I'd make sure it was wrapped up in a few socks and that he could get out from under it easily.

4) Can he be left to run around in the 70 degree room? For how long? Chester ususally slows down when he starts getting cold, so I just let him run til he stops then put him back. Longest he's ran around for since the cold snap was half an hour.

5) How much basking time should he get? EX: out for an hour bask for hour etc? As long as he's warm enough to digest his food and he has enough time under the UVB to absorb a day's amount I don't think it really matters.

thanks again in advance

Hope that helps from my experience :)

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Imagin,
Thanks for that! Yeah it helped, I think I might get another clamp lamp and 60 watt or so like you said so he has a warm spot to get to. Not sure what you mean by slow down. Puff doesn't really move lol. My wife calls him puff-a-lump since he just lays there in 1 spot all day sometimes might move once. Only question I have left would be with the heat pads what temp is to hot for them to touch so to speak? Would it be safe to say if it's to hot for us it's to hot for them? Like getting bath water ready?
Thanks again for your input it helped a lot! Anyone other opinions?
Would it be a brumation thing if he eats less and very slowly? He normally gets a little excited when he gets supers but today he ate 5 and when he ate them he chomped very slowly kinda like a kid that has to eat veggies that doesn't like em.

Livey

Extreme Poster
I still let mine come out, not in my room , its freezing up there!

But down stairs we have a wood burning stove so its always toasty 8)

If its cold , i wouldn't let them out for too long, when mine are cold they always try and go to sleep

Olivia x

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Livey,
Hmm they go to sleep, puff never does that LOL. I think I get what you guys mean though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom