getting my beardie used to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullet1988

I've had my beardie for about 3 weeks now.
I've done all the research on behavior, eating, etc. and everything is in order so very pleased with how everything is going so far!
Except for one thing...
Every time I try to pick him up he runs. and runs. and runs. I know its going to take time for him to get used to me, but i just wondered if there were any tips for speeding up this process?
Thanks alot!

1happymommy

Juvie Member
How old is he? If he's very young they tend to run away from us. Just keep catching him so he knows your the boss and his running will not stop you from pursueing him. You can also try petting the top of his head a few times and not pick him up. Also hand feed him if your not already. These are the things I tried. I also did not put him in his viv if he was squirming. I waited about 5-10 seconds of calm and then put him back. Just my thoughts.
Plus 3 weeks is still a short time, especially if he's young.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,

Dont worry, you are not the first one to have had to tame your dragon. Even with the worst behaviour a dragon can be tamed.
When I first rescued Dex (an adult missing an arm) she had never been handled and was pretty much feral. She bit me, scratched me and hissed at me.
With some patience and a few tricks she turned into the biggest cuddlebug in the world who constantly wanted to sit in my lap and be stroked.

Young ones are always skittish little devils with us big scarey humans.

I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:

Start putting your hand in her tank, flat but dont touch her. She'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley worms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. She'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach her from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook her.
Lay your hand flat in front of her for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition her on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle her remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

Keep us posted!
Holly

Minnie72

Hiya,
I've had my baby BD for 1 week and am sooooo glad have read your advice :D :study: I had a major prob yesterday where Larry went berserk on me going too close to him. He mad a mad leap for the open end of the viv. Thank god he landed on something soft. I tried to pick him up & he hissed like mad at me :oops: I was almost in tears thinking that I had hurt him :cry: I am def gonna try the clothing in viv thing to see if it helps.

Minnie

this is what I told another poster who is having similar issues with one they rescued:
give him time... is there an area where he can be out of his house safely? If so, let him out, and stay back but present. Gradually (over a number of times letting him out) get nearer to him, without picking him up etc... you'll notice him not appearing quite as defensive with time...at that point, try enticing him with food...something that moves... Get some worms (best to do when you know hes hungry!) this will get him to come near you rather than the other way around. Again dont try to pick him up. Let him come near you and still walk away if he chooses..eventually he will connect you as a positive source for food, and non threatening. When he seems more comfortable being around you, what I did at this point (my male was quite similar initially) was I started putting him inside my shirt while I sat on the couch for a time. He may hiss initially cuz its his only real defense..but he'll stop once he is settled. Its warm and here he gets used to your smells, and feels secure it this little private 'nest' of his... He will get quite comfortable and with any luck fall asleep.
The main thing here is not to take it too fast. He will get used to you. My little guy has gotten quite comfortable with me. He still is more 'independent' than my female, but he isn't skiddish, or nervous at all anymore...and he Still loves to sleep on me!
keep us posted and best of luck!
Jackie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom