Getting more male dubia than female...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stycim

So about 2 weeks ago I was fed up with my one giant tub for all my dubia.

My Growler is still snoozing the winter away so he's not eating at all. Meanwhile these roaches just keep breeding! I've turned off the closet space heater that I had been using. Right now they're in a closet in my office. Room temp is about 70 but I do have a small UTH that is always on.

So I got 2 more totes bringing my total to 3: one for extra small - small nymphs, one for med-large nymphs, and one for the adults. I got them all sorted and situated about 2 weeks ago. Yes, I actually counted.... and I had 117 females and 65 males. That's a higher male:female ratio than I want, but I didn't do anything about it at the time.

Today I went through the medium-large tote and pulled out 10 new adults.... ALL male! Is that normal?

Stycim

Original Poster
:blob5: Bump..... Maybe nobody else has had this issue? I just found 6 more new males in my medium/large tub and not one single female!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Feel free to send me some medium dubias! LOL! You'll prob just have to feed off the males. Or put an ad on Craigslist and sell them...or mail them to me *wink wink*...

Gail

BD.org Addict
That happens to me, I always get way more males then females. Every so often I go through the colony and remove a bunch of the extra males and freeze them.

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Gail":1ajlgcoj said:
That happens to me, I always get way more males then females. Every so often I go through the colony and remove a bunch of the extra males and freeze them.

Freeze them? Didn't know you could do that...just place them in a container and put them in the freezer? Cool. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get my colony up and running strong.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I freeze them then throw them away, it just a easy way to dispose of extras. No one wants to buy all males and I don't have anything bug enough to eat them right now. I usually put them in a jar or small plastic container.

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
Not much you can do about what the nymphs turn into, whether it be male or female. But as stated above, freezing the extras and throwing them away works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom