Getting a new beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
Hello again. :] I haven't been on this forum in a while since my baby Haku died almost a year ago in a few months :( I have since then moved to a larger apartment and I have a corner that I think would fit a bearded dragon tank perfectly. I'd like to go about getting one differently this time so I'm wondering is it better to find a local breeder, get a rescue dragon, or find a pet store that has a fresh amount of beardies that they just get in? (so as they have no time to inappropriately care for them) I found one on craigslist that someone wants to sell but she looks really large like...overweight? Any advice for this new process would be appreciated. :]

rsmit02

Honestly I would really advise going to the for sale section here and buying a beardie from one of the breeders there especially Cheyrl from Rio Dragons that is where I got my girl from I had fears about looking after a fragile baby and if I was going to choose a beardie that was going to be friendly or not, so I got a 6month old super sweet super healthy girl for the same price as petsmart, and her babies are even cheaper only 40 dollars. That way you know your dragon is healthy happy and friendly.

babyheartthrob

Hatchling Member
I'm sorry for your loss.

I would second the breeder option. I have five beardies (all under a year old). I have two Petsmart babies (one doing great, the other is now being treated for MBD :cry: ) and I have three breeder babies. Two were purchased at Repticon from Louisiana breeders in August and December (One from Hurricane Dragons and the other from Designs by Reptiles). Both have wonderful colors and are very healthy (the youngest was actually an adoption as he was the runt and the breeder let me have him for $15 but he is now thriving 8) ). The last baby came from Show me Dragons after I saw one of Mike's for sale posts on here I went and checked his website and found my handsome little man. Mike was wonderful to work with and we had our newest family member that Friday and he is healthy and very happy.

So I don't say stay away from Pet stores (I still look at the babies everytime I go to get crix :lol: ), but I would be very wary. The first dragon I got from Petsmart ended up dying a week after I got him, due to the employee grabbing him to hard and hurting him (poor little Draco 1). I took him back and went to a different store for the second one (who is now 18 inches and about 400 grams at about 9 months old :eek: ).

Sabrina

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
I'd agree with the breeder option. Last year I rescued a beardie who was being severely neglected and after months of trying to get him healthy again he passed away in November. I was totally heartbroken as I'm sure you can unfortunately imagine :( I'm sure you don't wanna go through that pain again, and the best chance of getting a healthy beardie is from a good breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom