Getting a New Beardie, questions about UV bulb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
Okay, we got a deal on a coffee table terrarium and are now looking at getting our 2nd bearded dragon! Woot! Woot!

The coffee table terrarium already has a UV bulb (regular bulb) holding mount in the middle, so while Rocky has a 48" Repti-Sun UV bulb and does well, we were thinking of going with a mercury vapor bulb for this coffee table terrarium if we can.

Here's the options for that on Amazon:
1) http://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Solar-Glo-Intensity-Self-Ballasted/dp/B00101JII8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455574539&sr=8-1&keywords=mercury+vapor+bulb

2) http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-PowerSun-Mercury-Vapor/dp/B0002AQDJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1455574539&sr=8-2&keywords=mercury+vapor+bulb

The first option comes in a choice of a 125 watter or a 160 watter, and the ZooMed 2nd option only comes in a 100 watt option.. and its more expensive and has a lower overall review.

Would either of these be recommended or would you advise that I buy another 48" florescent bulb mount and put in the Repti-Sun 10.0 bulb like Rocky has had since he was a baby?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are the dimensions of the terrarium? I prefer the tube style UVB lights because they cast a nice wide, even distribution of UVB which is easy for them to bask under evenly. The type you use depends on how much height you have to play with.

If you want to go with a MVB, I'd go with a high quality one. The Arcadia and Megaray bulbs are nice. You'll want to choose a wattage that the fixture is rated to handle and it also comes down to distance (from the edge of the bulb to the top of the highest basking spot. Keep in mind that at proper distance for UVB exposure, you may not get appropriate heat so it's common to need a secondary bulb for heat (halogen, ceramic heat emitter, etc.) Based on the two you linked, I'd go with the PowerSun based on test results I've read. It also comes with a 160w option.

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i don't know exactly how big it is, but based on Rocky's terrarium, I'd guess this one is around 40, maybe 45 gallons.

Thanks for your quick reply! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. A T5 may be appropriate, but it really comes down to how far the edge of the bulb is from the highest basking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom