Getting A New Beardie!!! Female LOT OF QUESTIONS???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
the new beardie im going to be rescuing from a lady is a female and is about 7 months of age at what age do thay start laying eggs just so i know and i have all the proper equipment like the stuff for her lay box and etc. also i have a male bearded dragon and yes i will be keeping them in separate vivs but what are the dos and donts for when i have them out together as my male is 5 months and 2 weeks but 12 inches long i dont kno how big the other one is yet

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi ! Okay, first off, I wouldn't worry about eggs yet, you might, might see them when she is 12-18 months or more.
Second, let her have her floor time separate from Gizmo. This way there will NEVER be the chance of fertilization, nor aggressions. Just keep both out of each others' sight, and things should all be good.
Lay box:
Rubbermaid container 18 qts or larger. 2 lbs of playsand, 2 lbs of baked potting soil, dampen them together until you can get a drop of water when squeezed between your fingers.
Clamp on shop lamp with flood light, opposite side soil/sand mixture is on.
Lid with open cut for light to flood onto the mixture.
Patience.
If and when she starts, you will notice a lot of scratching and digging going on in her viv. At that time, just place her into the lay box, don't worry about feeding or watering her, as she won't take either. Once done, give her a lovely soak, and return her to her viv.
Remove unfertilized eggs, freeze and toss.
There you are. I hope this answered your questions !
Janie.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Is she already pregnant or do plan on breeding her? Sorry, I don't understand. Females can actually get pregnant long before they should and could seriously have some stunted growth.

As far as dealing with having a male and female goes, I would keep them out of each others sight, their vivs being in separate rooms. If the male spots her, he is likely to start bobbing and beating his head against the glass in an attempt to escape- he could easily hurt himself. If the female sees him, she will probably start waving, becoming very submissive, and may even be afraid to eat her food for a few days for fear of him. Even though these social displays are adorable, it is not healthy for a captive beardie.

However, at bed time I always get all of my dragons out and let them free roam a bit before falling asleep. It seems that when they are all sleepy, they have no interest in mating, and seem to enjoy each others company. They like to pile up on one another and go to sleep. It is absolutely precious- I hope your babies will be able to behave themselves for some night time cuddles.

Great to hear that you're rescuing instead of pet shop buying. I'd love to see pics of your new beardie!

xXDragonPrincessXx

Original Poster
yes i do think i might breed them once im more financially able to as im not working right now but plan on it very soon HOPEFULLY the petstore where i live so i can make sure all their reptiles are taken care of properly. lol but yes i do plan on breeding them once they are old enough and i have all the equipment time money and space.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
You will need to make sure that the female is at least 18 months old and weighing in at 500 grams (correct me folks if I got that wrong). You will also need to know that breeding is expensive in the feeder department. Over $1000 for feeders, and your electric bill for the lighting/heating. Also space requirements to grow out the babies to 6.5-7" before shipping.
The female will also need to be conditioned for laying, which means boosting calciumD3, and food.
Hope this helps,
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom