getting a new bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a new dragon and I was wondering if there was any tips I might need to know. I have a 50 gallon tank sectioned of 10 gallons. I have a rock shelter that I got from petsmart and a half arch I also got from petsmart. I have a double dome and a night and day light. Also a 10 uvb flouresent bulb. i plan on getting a baby dragon any tips would help thanks!

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Just pick the baby that looks like he's dominating everyone else :lol: oh, and idk what you feed, but beardies seem to like reptiworms. If he's a really little dude get small/medium, but xs are a waste of money.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I'm guessing you are in MN from your user name, right? Check out Twin Cities Reptiles in St. Paul, or Leaping Lizards in Burnsville. They always have amazing looking babies, and TCR even breeds their own. TCR sells Phoenix worms for $6 a cup too!
If you would consider an adult, Leaping Lizards has 4 adults up for adoption right now, who looked like they could use a little TLC (They look healthy, but a tad skinny). I adopted my boy from Leaping Lizards, and they are great.

MNdragon99

Original Poster
I do live in MN but i live above the twin cities and I was wondering if u new about exotic and aquatics in blaine that was were i was gonna get my baby lizard for 29.99 is that a good place to go or should I go to like petsmart(49.99) and thanks for all the ideas about the dragons and do u have any tips on tank covers? :help: :blob8:

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
MNdragon99":lh3jcnia said:
I do live in MN but i live above the twin cities and I was wondering if u new about exotic and aquatics in blaine that was were i was gonna get my baby lizard for 29.99 is that a good place to go or should I go to like petsmart(49.99) and thanks for all the ideas about the dragons and do u have any tips on tank covers? :help: :blob8:

Avoid petsmart for getting babies if possible. They're known for their horrible care and lots of their beardies are unfortunatly sick :/. As for covers, I use a screen top. No glass though, because UVB can't go through glass.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I've never been to Exotics & Aquatics, but I think I've heard of it before. I live below the Twin Cities.

OK, I just googled Exotics & Aquatics, and they look awesome! They have all sorts of neat morphs! I really want to go there now! They are 45 minutes away from me though.
The $30 babies they had were cute, but it said that they weren't recommended for 1st time owners because of their tiny-ness, and I agree. Try to get one that is a tad older if you can.

Nejiwayne

Hatchling Member
Hello and congrats on becoming a beardie slave ;) Heres my 2cents...
Do not use walnut shells or calcium sand, itll collect in their tummy and could lead to death.
Use repticarpet, taped down paper towels, or cloth instead, safe and easy to clean.

As for night lights dont use one that gives off light! Red is the worst! He won't be able to sleep.
If you can go to petmountain.com and order a ceramic heat emmiter or infared heat bulb. Theyll be way cheaper and have a better selection too.

Cover 2 or 3 sides of the tank with cloth, or non pressurized/chemical soaked woods such as oak. They can see their reflection and will attack it, ppl call it cute, its not. Ever seen Flo from Finding Nemo? A sane beardy is a happy pooper!

Dont keep a water dish in the cage at all! Give em fresh greens n veggies every morning! They love mustard, turnip, and kale greens. Along with shaved butternut or yellow squash, carrots, and strawberries.

If you buy from one of those pet stores, choose a beardy that has his eyes wide open, is running all over the place, eating, climbing and generally healthy looking.
The small dark ones laying around with droopy eyes are most likely sick.

I know its alot but go read through the beardie er section of the forums, you can learn alot from other ppls experiences.
And most importantly dont be afraid to voice your concerns about anything on here!

VerriKerri

Hatchling Member
MNdragon99":3uoj4lsa said:
do you think it is better for a beardie to have his heat lamp on the left or right?

As far as I know it doesn't matter.
I will say this though and I made this little mistake and it's causing my little one some stress.

Set up everything in your tank the way you want it and don't change it around until your little one is big enough to need to switch tanks.
I took stuff out and added it the first few days I had mine and he freaked and wouldn't eat and just layed there for a day confused and depressed.

And I hope you read that sand article, no sand.

Do you know what you're going to be feeding him?

Eadig

Juvie Member
Absolutely avoid sand. Calci Sand Above all.

All sands gather bacteria worse than a sponge and will stink so bad in no time.

I actually like Slate Tiles. for $10 I lined my tank with flooring that will outlast me let alone my beardies. and the upside, it keeps their claws from getting all sharpish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom