Getting a CAT...any precautions to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had Po for 2 years. She is perfectly fat and healthy being the only 4-legged critter in the house.

We have a friend who has to give up her 5 year old cat due to her significant other having allergies. We offered to give him a good home. We want to know if there are any major precautions to take so the two can get to know each other.

Po has met various cats and dogs before, and has no problems with them. She will politely close her eyes as dogs stick their nose in her face, checking her out. The cat we will be bringing home, Knuckles, was raised around other cats, dogs, and birds, and has never shown aggression towards smaller critters. Knuckles is neutered.

We are going through and 'cat-proofing' our home, including putting a more secure top over Po's viv so the cat won't be tempted to pay her an in-home visit. We plan on introducing them slowly and in a controlled environment.

Any suggestions or tips for anyone in a similar situation?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well first off, its hit or miss wether or not your cat will "go after" Po.
That being said, even if it seems the cat and Po get along, never take the relationship for granted because it could change any second.

There aren't really any mayjor precautions you need to take while living with a cat and a beardie, Just make sure that your tanks lid is strong enough to support a cat jumping on it lol. (my cat used to like to lay ontop of the screen. :roll:

-Brandon

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
Perhaps see if your friend can bring over the cat before you commit to it,see if they get a long,i know as far as i go(2 cats a dog and a beardie) all my animals get along perfectly,occasionally my cats will try to play with my beardies tail but other than that they have no interest in him,and if they hit him to hard he will hiss and beard them,which to be honest,scares the sh*t out of them :p, and my dog is just old and doesn't care,but i believe it'll be unique to the animals,good luck :D

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Definetly make sure your screen is secure with clips or a lock because my cat will literally try to pry the screen open. When I have my beardie out the cat doesn't even come near her, usually wont even come in the same room as her but when she is in her cage its a totally different story! Lol my cat will just sit and stare for hours at her in the cage and when I'm not looking try to get it open. Their sneaky! It's so funny though because my beardies don't even care about my dogs or cats, of course I never have them out without watching them, but Lola will just run up my dogs back when she's laying down and cuddle up in her fur (she's a golden retriever so there's lots of fur to cuddle lol) and go to sleep. It's the cutest thing ever, but my cat will stand outside the doorway and just peak his head in when she's out, and I don't think my other cat even knows there's beardies in the house! Lol

Wetbee

One time I had the lid off the viv to change out water dish and when I came back in, Figs the cat was inside reaching tentatively batting one of my beardies, testing to see how they reacted. I have no doubt he would have gotten braver and could hurt a beardie..he sure does do snakes harm in the summer time. If the cat is a hunter, the beardie will be hunted. I worry I will be lax and an accident will happen...so I am hyper vigilent now.
Kris

Chirple

Hatchling Member
My friend's kitten pried the screws off the top of their Marty Made. O__O

My cats will watch the tank, sometimes, but now that it's off the floor, they're much less interested.

When he's out, he terrifies one of my cats, who will run away. The other cat will look at him, but otherwise doesn't seem to be very interested. He is always closely supervised, though. :)

Gorbash

I have 10 cats, I just keep them off the top of Gorbash's tank and when I take him out I make sure no cats are in the room. During bath time my cats have stared at Gorbash one tried to paw at him (claws retracted). None of them have tried to kill or eat my dragon. On average there are at least 2 cats in the room with his tank, about 6 when I feed him crickets (but that's mainly for the crickets).

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
2 of my cats pretty much ignore Fluffy when she is out. The third follows her, hugs her, kisses her, and pets her. He is the type that thinks everyone oughta love him, so he doesn't understand why the small not-furred cat does not want to play with him.

If she is in the window during the summer, he will bask next to her. If she wants to cool off under the table, he will lay next to her. That's her buddy, whether she wants him, or not.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
What I tried to do was expose the cat to the dragon as much as possible in a very controlled setting. I'd hold the dragon, have the cat come over, and allow her to smell it and investigate it as long as she appeared to be calm and not in a "hunting" state.
She would occasionally become too interested and I'd correct her to prevent her from becoming aggressive and doing that repeatedly really helped me.
Now I can trust them together on the couch without having to be RIGHT there, I still watch them because I feel it would be irresponsible not too, but she so far regards the beardie as just a thing that isn't to be messed with so thats good enough.
Try taking the mystery out of the dragon to the cat by exposure, and make sure the cat knows this is not something to be messed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom