Getting a beardie...individual or local petstore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Soon I am getting a bearded dragon. I have never owned one before and my question is this. I found one about two hours away from where I live. He's a little over a year old and comes with a 40 gallon tank and all necessary equipment for $300. Or should a buy a baby...it's slightly larger than my hand nose to tail, and all his equipment from the pet store located in my hometown. This is not a petco type place, it's locally owned and operated. The lady who owns the store is definately not a beardie expert but not a complete ***** either. She does have her babies on crushed walnut, I know this is highly debated, and she is feeding them 3/4 inch crickets, and some greens. I have seen them eat and they look okay, but I am a little concerned with how they are being kept. Any advice? Which would be the better route for someone whose never owned a beardie? Thanks A BUNCH!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to BD.org! :D
It's really a matter of preferrence, though as a first time beardie owner you may want to start out with an adult. :wink: Just my opinion! :)

Again Welcome Aboard! :D

railroadwife

Original Poster
Thanks! We did end up getting one from the local pet store. The owner was of course pushy and sold me a couple of things I knew I didn't need and won't use like crushed walnut and a light that in no way is good for heat or uvb exposure and juvenile pelleted food. I am ordering the right light online today and having it overnighted. She also was feeding this poor baby crickets that were way bigger than the space between his eyes and romaine lettuce? Well anyway he's in good hands now, I am one of those really anal pet owners who reads way too much and does everything by the book. BTW I have no idea obviously what what sex it is yet he is very young (like 5-6 inches nose to tail) but we are calling it a he and my kids named it Sapphire. I am calling him Saph or Saphie. I wanted something like Charlie. Anywho.....that's us.

Railroadwife......the railroad may own his soul but I still have his heart.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
While I hate giving petstores money, I do like the fact you rescued it. :) If she sold you stuff you don't need, I would take it all back. No point in having it if you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom