getting a BD with a child daycare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sseeth

me and one of my friends were looking to get a BD together. Yet, her mother would only let it stay at her place on occasion, im allowed to keep it in my house but my mother owns a daycare and is worried about salmonella. Now the daycare is downstairs, i already wash my hands regularly before doing anything and the kids stay downstairs, i dont go downstairs. I would really like to get this pet, ive done tons of research and etc on them, i can afford the costs, but its the whole salmonella in proximity with a daycare thats stopping me. Is there anything i can do?

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
There is more of a chance of the lizard contracting something from you than you contracting something from them. As long as you clean the enclosure regularly, take care of the feces and any food within the closure daily.. it should be a very safe environment. Many people (including myself) bring their dragons to work with them on occassion. I work at a school and the kids love it and there has been no chance of them contracting salmonella. Just be sure that who ever handles it sanitizes their hands before and after handling to ensure all parties safety.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
by the way.. do you mean that you're going to be moving the dragon between houses often? just on occasion? or that it will be staying at your place permanently if your mom allows?

The reason is.. these dragons go through relocation stress. Being moved too often can put a lot of stress on them which wouldn't be good for their health. Try keeping it in one place as long as you can. occasionally weekends or whatnot shouldn't be too harmful. Especially if you're using the same enclosure and setting up the tank the same way. Still, I would suggest leaving it in one place if at all possible.

Sseeth

Original Poster
on occasion i mean more like once every one to two months, but yeah if it would cause the dragon more stress, we'll most likely not move it around. Thank you for the response though, it will help my argument in getting the lizard :)

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
If it helps even more. If you're mom is worried about the kids getting INTO the tank. There tank clamps you can use that are basically childproof to keep the lid attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom