General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I am thinking of getting 2 beardies but I heard that you haved to separate them in order for them to get the right amount of lighting.I am just wondering what if i keep to beardies in one tank but with to basking lights on each end. Is this a good idea and the tank might be 120 or 70 gall.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

That's great that you want to get 2 beardies, they are awesome pets !!

The reason you don't want to house them together is not due to lighting. Bearded dragons should not be housed together because they are solitary and territorial creatures. If housed together one may become dominant causing the other one stress, which could lead to improper growth and health issues. They may also hurt one another. What seems like a good idea, so your bd has a companion, really is not worth the risks involved. If you want to get 2 beardies you may want to consider getting two enclosures.

Let us know if you get one...or two. We love to hear all about our little bearded friends.

Dawn :)

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Generally speaking, its safest to give each dragon their own enclosure. That way you avoid dominance and aggression issues between dragons. The only combination that might work is two females who are the same size and fairly laid back, and even that is no guarantee since many here have tried only to have to separate them due to problems. I'd definitely suggest starting off with just one dragon.

Also, a 75g tank meets the minimum requirements for one adult dragon, you'd need something much larger if you were go against the advice here and try to house two together

ChiTownns

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice but does it matter what sex they are. Like a female and male in the same tank.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
ChiTownns":14f55 said:
Thanks for the advice but does it matter what sex they are. Like a female and male in the same tank.

Yes it does matter what the sexes are. Two males will eventually fight and can kill each other; they are territorial. A male/female combo is bad because the male will be ready and willing to mate (possibly as early at 6 months old) long before it's safe to breed the female (18 months) and he won't be willing to wait if she's there in the tank with him. There's also the possibility of harassment, overbreeding, and physical injury to the female because males don't really take no for an answer. As I mentioned above, the only combination that may work is two females who are both laid back, but its not a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom