General health help

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatoric

I have a bearded dragon named Ith. He is approximately nine months old. He weighs 319 Gms. And is 43 Cm. long. We have a daily routine as follows. He gets up around 6:00 am when I do. Once he has warmed himself in his basking spot (100 degrees) he eats a breakfast of fresh mustard greens, a little romaine and fresh collard greens that I grow myself. He occasionally gets a few slivers of apple. He doesn’t seem to care for fruit much. Sometimes when he gets a taste of fruit he stops eating. After breakfast we sometimes go outside for an hour for him to sit in the sun. At 11:00am he gets a bath of warm water. He likes his bath and sits in it until it becomes room temperature (approximately fifteen minutes). After his bath he eats about thirty small crickets (average). I then give him his treats. Usually three wax worms and two Meal worms. I pick freshly shed meal worms out. So they are soft. These treats are dusted with Reptivite vitamins. At 2:00 we go out to sit in the sun for at least an hour, and up to two hours. After about an hour he gets on the ground and we go for our walk around the yard. This is the time he defecates. It is somewhat runny. I have been told this is normal with having a daily bath. It has been this way since we started the daily bath routine several months ago. Also, he has not defecated in his habitat for over three months. He enjoys our “walk abouts” and he seems to know this is the time to go to the bathroom. After our time outside he gets in his hide and sleeps until the next morning.
A little other information you may need is that I use the green carpet type substrate. I also use the Reptisun 20”, 10.0, UVB lamp which is on from 6:00 am until 6:30pm and a 75 watt bulb as his basking light. He is blind in his left eye. He jumped from his basking stump and hit the glass of his habitat when he was only a couple of months old. He seems to have adjusted to this OK.
Here is our situation, about two weeks ago, he was bobbing his head and had his beard completely puffed out. The next morning he would not eat his breakfast. At lunch he refused to eat his crickets as well. He did eat his treats. Since then, he has only eaten about half of his normal amount for breakfast, three times. He has not eaten it any other time. He will not eat his crickets, but will eat his treats every day. He has bobbed his head a couple of other times since the first day. He has never bobbed his head in the past that I have seen . I assume this head bobbing is the want of a girlfriend. He has been puffing his beard a couple of times a day. He also, is only defecating once every two or three days as well. But I think this is probably due to less food intake. He lost five grams the first week, but has regained them and added seven grams on his overall weight this week. He shed his left hind leg a couple of days ago and has some opaque color in a couple of other areas as well as his head. He does stop eating for a couple of days before his head shed. He seems to be OK when we are out for our “walk about” He still likes to run in the grass and explore things. My wife says that I worry about him too much and she is probably correct, but he is my pal and I want the best for him.
So, I have several questions and It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out.
1. What do you think is going on with him and what can I do? If it is the girlfriend thing, how long will it last?
2. He would eat a lot more of his treats if I offered them to him, should I increase them temporally for now or not? I haven’t because of the fat risk of wax worms and the impaction risk of the meal worms.
3. How much real sunlight is enough? Should I reduce the hours of the sunlamp, since he gets between two and three hours of true sun each day?
4. Is it ok that he walks around the yard? Is there and risks involved other than predators, which are not a factor, because I am with him at all times when outside?

Thank you, gatoric

dezismom

Juvie Member
A photo would be helpful, but Ith sounds very well cared for and loved! It is not unusual for them to slow their growth a bit around nine months, which would also reduce yheir food intake. It is also common for them to be off their food a bit before and during a shed, so either of these things could explain his slower appetite...

How does he get his hydration? Dezi will have a reduced appetite if he needs hydration...I offer fresh, reduced osmosis water (because our tap water is full of minerals and junk) by a small syringe, drops on his lips. He will lap it up (after thinking about it for a while!) or he will refuse by closing eyes and turning head away. When thirsty, he can take several CCs at a time. He always has a great appetite after getting his water.

Do you use a separate calcium/vit. D supplement? I might suggest using that daily, and the general vitamin supplement for reptiles only twice a week.

Dezi has periods of time when he simply does not prefer one or another food...some weeks, he loves his crickets, others he loves his mealworms, etc. I think it is just a matter of his preference. As long as they do not become so picky they are down to just one food source, I think it is okay. If Dezi starts being too attached to something, like his waxworms, I delete it from his diet a few weeks.

As far as dangers on his walk abouts, there are some things to look out for, like some plants or other stuff he should not eat. I keep an eye on any surface, like a sidewalk, that may be too hot for Dez...but in grass/dirt he is fine.

I am a big believer in spending some "snuggle time" with a Beardie; they all have different dispositions, of course, but I have noticed that Dezi is not the only one who loves to nestle down and have his head and back rubbed at least daily! I use this time to do a good look/feel over his body, to check for anything new...Dezi thinks it is a part of his massage, and is quite happy to cooperate! I do not rub him where he has skin shedding; it seems sensitive, like a sunburn.

The head bobbing is not abnormal, either...At the same age, Dezi started trying out some "adult" behaviors, and he always over did them at first, very often and more exaggerated than he does now. He also tried out beard puffing for a few months, which he was very proud of himself for doing, and he was very amusing! It seemed like he was "practicing" to get it right!

gatoric

Original Poster
Dezismom,
Thank you for the quick and helpful response. I will pick up a dropper and calcium this week. The vitamin supplement I have been using is 25% calcium so I thought that would be enough if used daily. ( the guy at the reptile shop said it was all I needed) It would not be the first time I have had bad advice from him. Ith also spends at least two hours a day in direct sun. I live in Florida so the sun, this time of year, is intense. I stay outside with him as long as I can take it, then we come in and he stands “tall” on the door mat for another hour or more. The sun comes in thru the glass and it is direct. When he has had all he wants he gets into a little hide I made for him and watches me work or he goes exploring in the glassed in patio.
He has been getting his water from his salad. I mist it before I hand feed him. It is fairly wet and he likes it that way. If it gets a little dry he will turn his head and will not take it until I mist it. He also gets a 20 min. bath every day. Occasionally, he will lap a little water when he first gets in his bath. After his bath, is when I do his inspection. It is just part of bath time to him. He does not seem to be dehydrated. However, with him not eating as much salad, it is a possibility.
Dezi’s behavior toward food sounds very much like Ith’s. I will not give him extra worms although I think that is all he would eat right now. I started raising my own wax worms and meal worms after getting some pretty bad looking worms from the web. If I buy them from the web again, it will only be from a reputable source. There is some bad looking stuff out there.
As for snuggle time, Ith spends about three hours a day somewhere on my body. I am retired and fortunately, have the time to spend with him. At the end of the day I pick him up and let him sleep on my chest for at least an hour, as my wife and I stare at the TV. I lightly rub his back the whole time. If I quit, he will kick his hind leg to get me started again. He really likes this time and usually does not want to get in his hide when it is bed time, but, he gives in and it is back to sleep almost instantly.
How many hours a day does Dezi sleep? I ask, because it seems the older Ith gets, the more sleep he wants. He sleeps from 3:00pm or 4:00pm until 6:00am the next day and is slow to wake up on some mornings. He is only awake eight or nine hours a day. I think this is normal but this is my first beardie and I am not sure.
He does loose his appetite during a shed, especially if it is his head that is shedding. He will not eat for a couple of days until it is over. Then he is very hungry. He will get picky during a shed time for the rest of his body, but not stop.
I am pleased to say, he ate a big salad yesterday. Thanks again for the help. It can be difficult knowing what is normal since this is my first time belonging to a beardie. I am 65 and have had a lot of animals in my life, but Ith is my favorite by far. He is my pal and I only want the best for him.
I am not sure how to post a picture?? gatoric

dezismom

Juvie Member
Cooperdragon can give better instructions about posting photos than I, but this is how I do it...I am NOT very savvy about these things. I go to this:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

Then I follow directions to upload photos from my Ipad, which I am on when I am online. It gives several options, like upload from your photos, or take a photo. I upload from my photos. After I have several uploaded, Then when I am writing a reply like this one, there is a little button on the upper far right above the reply box with "XIMG" in it. I tap that, and it takes me right to the photos I have uploaded. Those are saved, so I can use them anytime! I simply choose which one to post, and it does the rest. Sometimes, I have to repeat the process, because I have a little glitch perhaps in my ipad or something, but it usually works on the second try. I hope I have not been too confusing, here...if you need help, ask Cooperdragon--he knows EVERYTHING!! ??

Sounds like Ith has "won the lottery" with you as his servant! (me and some other posters have decided we are not the owners of Beardies; they own us! We even call them our "masters" just for laughs) A retired person with time, ability, and desire to give them what they need is perfect for them! I always am amazed to see the pet shops list Beardies as "easy care" pets for beginners...I too have had many pets and have cared for a variety of creatures, and Beardies are certainly not for beginners!! But like you, I have become completely smitten by my Beardie Boy. He is the most affectionate, charming little companion I have known! And as you learn their language, you find they have a remarkable ability to communicate their needs, emotions, and etc., through their posture, color, eyes, breathing,...it is a quiet language, but no less effective.

Beardies do become less active as adults, and yours is at that age where he will begin to show his more adult behaviors. If he is eating well, pooping well, and shedding well, and not looking all black beard or glass surfing, he is probably just fine. Those are a few of the signs to look for; as you learn his normal behaviors and his "language" better, you will find that he lets you know if things are not all well...I have had my beloved DeziLu for a year and a half, (got him as a wee baby) and I still have my little moments of panic, like when I was feeding him a new food--raspberries-- and thought he had blood stains on his lips...nope, just raspberry juice! :):) That is when you write to this forum to get the good advice from the helpful, knowlegeable members who have had much experience..they have been very kind and helpful to me!

I am also retired (a bit early due to a health condition) and have lots of time to love my Dez. I have become a raving Beardie fan. He goes everywhere I go...we even had our RV modified and rewired just so Dez has a perfect environment when we go on the road...our RV guy said that he had alot of wierd requests, but this was his 1st lizard modification! But he really got into it, and we will be installing more cool things, like a "lizard cam"...???

How did you become a Beardie dad? I am always interested in how people find these beautiful creatures...I myself would never have thought to buy one...I assumed that all reptiles were just eating, pooping machines with little personality....boy, was I wrong!! We bought Dezi for a nephew, who quickly lost interest. I have never allowed any animal to be neglected under my roof, so,...Lizard mom!! And so very grateful to be one. I was in wildlife and exotic (zoo) rehabilitation for over 30 years, and raising Dezi has been an outstanding experience. I have come to believe that, like ducklings, Beardies can "imprint" on their owners, possibly during a small window of time in their early life, while being hand fed. Dez shows all the symptoms of a total imprint. This came as a surprise to me, but it shouldn't have; reptiles and birds are very close, genetically, and share so much in dietary needs, heating...UVB, basically, Dezi is like a big baby bird. Without the feathers! I still hand feed him everything he eats. It maintains a deep bond, so I will probably continue that indefinitely, as long as he enjoys it.

Here are some photos of Dez..I look forward to seeing your boy, Ith...(how did he come by that name?)

baby Dez...
82765-4864947875.jpg

snuggly Dez...
82765-181215429.jpg

Big Boy Dez..2ft. long, and still growing!!
82765-2825262007.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You've got it right. Just go to the image uploader (link is also on the right side menu) to upload photos to your account and then press the XIMG button to add them to your posts =)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sounds like your'e doing a great job with Ith. :) He has fallen right into a deep lap of luxury. :lol: Lots of good advice already coming your way, I just wanted to add that you should keep 2 types of calcium powder....one with and one withOUT D3. You can use regular calcium powder every other day, but the type with D3 only once a week since Ith goes out in the strong natural Florida sun. Reptiles that get hours of natural sun need only plain calcium powder. Also,the powder should be very,very light on any meal.

gatoric

Original Poster
I will try a couple of pictures again. I did something wrong the first time. Dez is a good looking guy.

This is Ith on his door mat this morning.
87564-8617224856.jpg

87564-3122760928.jpg
Ith at 2 and 1/2 months.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks great , a cute baby and a very handsome , well proportioned sub adult dragon. :)

gatoric

Original Poster
Dezismom and others that have helped,
I have the upload working, so I will try to post a few pics. I have a lot of pictures, but I will try to keep it to two or three per post. It is like having another grandchild.  I am always taking a new picture. Thanks to everyone for the help. This is actually the first time I have used a forum of this type, so I have a lot to learn. It helps the old brain cells from getting too lazy.
I feel like I am the one that hit the lottery with Ith being my ‘master’. I like the terms and they certainly do apply. I beckon to his every call. I find it difficult to not do what he wants. For instance, he was sleeping on my chest when I started the note and had to put him in his own house so I could type. He wanted to stay with me but I just cannot type and balance him at the same time. Besides, he had been on my chest for over an hour. Anyway, I had a hard time putting him in his habitat, even just for a while. Sometimes, I think I am more dependent on him than he is on me. He fills a spot that I didn’t even know needed filling. When you talked about language you left out the tail.  When Ith is outside in his exploring mode the tail will curl up over his back in high alertness or excitement. It seems that they have multiple meanings for the same action like color. Dark seems to be, not feeling good, annoyed, cold or just mad at me for something did or didn’t do. I am still learning his language. When he wants something he will make eye contact and then look at what he wants, and then back to me and so on.
They are anything but, easy to take care of properly. They need a lot of one on one attention, dietary needs, lighting, temperature control, and the list goes on. He and I have definitely bonded and none of it is work to me. He would stay on my shoulder 24/7 if he could. I guess the only “work” involved is the raising of all his food. Mustard greens, collards, radishes meal worms and wax worms. I would have Dubia roaches but they are illegal in Florida. It is too bad too because he loved them before they were outlawed.
My wife gave me a certificate for Ith for my birthday. I used to sell coins at a local flea market on Saturdays. A boy about twelve years old had a beardie with him and he stopped at my booth. He was nice enough to let me hold him and that was all it took for me. I talked about it and showed my wife some phone pictures it took of his dragon. I had been considering an iguana until I saw how gentle his beardie was and it turned me around. Some iguanas can be mean but I think it is environmental. I broke my back in August and had to have surgery in October, so I didn’t get Ith until November. As for his name, Of course a thousand names were thought of but none were right. I was online and found a name generator. Ith was one that popped up. Ith is a mountain range in Germany, like the Appalachian Trail is here. You can do the Ith in Germany; here we do the Appalachian Trail. Another meaning is Ith is a wizard’s dragon in a children’s book. I don’t remember the name of it, but my wife is going to try to find a copy for me to read to the grand kids when they are over.
It is funny you mentioned the raspberry’s. I have two trees and fed him some of them as well, the next morning I saw the stains and thought it was blood. It scared me too, but I realized what it was after a few minutes.
I envy you with Dez being ok traveling, Ith does not like being in the car. From the time we brought him home he just goes crazy in a vehicle. I have tried short trips to the store or post office but he just won’t get over it.
Ith is doing better now; he is eating more salad, but not the crickets yet. I am feeling better about him as well. I will pick up the calcium bottles this week. These conversations have been very helpful. Thanks to all.
Gatoric
87564-8446201086.jpg
Ith on my leg this morning.

87564-3633845132.jpg
Ith with his dragon fly friend on his nose.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're definitely attached the same way we are. It's good that you're learning his language and it sounds like you're interpreting in a similar way that I do. I'm glad to hear that he has such a good, caring home. If you prefer dubia roaches, you could try and start a colony of legal roaches. I believe discoid and horshoe crab roaches are legal in Florida and would work as an alternative if you can find some. Feel free to post all the photos you'd like. You can start a photo thread in the photo expressions subforum which is set up just for that purpose.

dezismom

Juvie Member
What a cutie pie!! Nice little round belly...It will be fun to watch him grow up and to see what he looks like as an adult....is he a special breed, from a breeder, or a pet shop guy? Dezi was a pet shop guy, (from Petsmart) and he was not listed as any special coloring, but he turned out quite a vivid orange in color. Also, he is huge...I have met other Beardies who were twice his age and half his size. Guess I over did the feedings when he was so little, :):) but he has not complained. More of him to love! I have grown accustomed to other Beardie owners reactions to him...as in, "OMG! What an enormous Bearded Dragon! Mine isn't near that big!" He is a bit notorious around my small area. His laid back attitude and relaxed behavior when we are out and about have won him many friends. But when he was a wee one, he was not so easy going. He basically just stayed focused on food, food and more food! He did not begin to snuggle and cuddle with me until he was around nine months old. He was just too busy to hold still for very long (unless he was asleep). Now, however, he can sit in my lap or on my shoulder for hours. I let him run loose in the "lizard proofed" room with my supervision twice a day, and I encourage his exercise by playing with him. He loves to chase a little red laser light, and he also loves chasing a cat toy that is just a stick with some feathers on the end of it. His other activities are more restful, like watching sports on TV (loves football--might be the colorful uniforms) or marching up and down the back of the sofa, demanding raspberries. He also enjoys overseeing my work making jewelry, while parked on a heating pad for warmth.

Oh yes, the tail! I had forgot about that...they definitely use the tail to communicate. When I stop petting Dez and he is on the back of the sofa, he slaps his tail against the wall, to get my attention! As if to remind me that my job is to rub him and I am slacking off. ??

Too bad about Ith not liking car travel...maybe he would be better, if you got him accustomed to a dog carrier, like Dez? It looks like a big purse, and was sold in a fancy pet shop for little dogs. The top zips open, and ends have mesh "windows" for ventilation and for the pet to look out of. It is fairly dark inside. I keep a plastic bottle inside with warm water in it, for heat. (I use the Pedialyte bottles, because they are square and wont roll around on Dez) Maybe that would be more "safe" feeling to Ith?

I have limited mobility due to a rare form of brittle bone disease, and have found that a Beardie is a perfect pet for me! Since My bones fracture very easily, I cannot hold a dog--even a small one hurts if he jumps around on me. When we are out doors, Dezi wears a harness and leash, and he can move about freely, while I stay on the porch. But he does not ever want to go far from me. He rides in my wheelchair, and just wants to be near me. I feel so lucky to have "discovered" this amazing, beautiful animal! I would not have believed it if someone had told me that a lizard could have so much personality, or be so affectionate! Like Ith, he likes sitting on my knees, looking out at the world.

Dezi at Badlands National Park, SD
82765-1343257074.jpg

and at a lake in Texas
82765-7119748513.jpg

here he is on his special perch we made for him in the RV, next to the sofa. He has become quite attached to certain pillows, so we bring them with us when traveling. No, Dezi is not terribly spoiled!!:)
82765-1469265386.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dragonfly on the dragon ! Too cute ! I love dragonflies and am always trying to take pics of them. Ith seems to have his own pet. :lol:

gatoric

Original Poster
Ith came from a small local reptile shop. I never ask about his breeding. I will have to do that the next time I am in there. He is a bright orange too. He is fairly opaque right now. It is close to shed time. His left hind leg shed last week and it looks like his front left is next. How long is Dezi? I think Ith will be a small one. He is 43cm /17” and has been that length for a month. He seems to have stopped growing in length at least for now. Ith was a wild man when he was younger too. He had to be into everything. Like my spaghetti. He jumped off my shoulder right in the middle of my plate one night. He wasn’t allowed to have dinner with us for a while. He will now, depending on what we are eating and if he is awake at that time. He started to settle down a couple of months ago. Now he is content to just hang out somewhere on me. He gets down once in a while to do a little looking around, but wants back up after about ten minutes. Ith will watch TV too. My wife watches a cop show on Sunday afternoons and he gets off his stump and turns his good eye to the TV. He will watch it for about an hour then it is nap time and he gets in his cool spot and goes to sleep.
He sleeps on my cheat in the evenings for an hour while I rub his back. If I quit stroking him he nudges me with his hind leg to get me started again. I know just what you mean by being a slacker, interesting the similarities between the two.
As I said earlier he is kind of house broke. He has not pooped in his house, or mine, for over three months. He waits for his walk abouts to go. Yesterday we had a first. He was on his door mat in the sun like every morning. We had already been out for our morning walk and he didn’t go. He has only been going every two or three days since his slow down in eating. Anyway, he jumped up on the door sill and started scratching at the glass. He wanted out right now. So, I complied thinking to myself “spoiled dragon”. He pooped within five minutes which never happens. It usually takes an hour. He had actually asked to go out. I was blown away. I didn’t think they were that intelligent.
I am sorry to hear about your bone disease, but you have the perfect companion. I have had two back surgeries in the past four years and I am not very mobile I can get up and walk around for an hour or so but spend most of the time sitting so I sort of get it. Ith has made this last nine months great. I don’t feel sorry for myself anymore. I was always very active and it was hard for me to make the adjustments. But Ith fixed that.
87564-4435303137.jpg
Ith at five months.
87564-3633845132.jpg
Ith with his dragon fly friend.

gatoric

Original Poster
Ith woke up early today and he is a wild man. I have never seen him like this. He does not want to hang out on me which is usually all he wants. He does not want to be outside, something we do twice a day. When we go out he turns dark and lowers down and wants back in. He did defecate on the last of the three attempts to go out. I put him in the Living room on the floor and he only wants to go where we do not allow him. I put him in his habitat and he wants out. We walk past it and he wants in. He won’t stay in my hand and when I put him down he wants back up. I put him on his doormat and he scratches to go out. I gave him one mealworm and two wax worms, but he will not eat anything else. Yesterday he was the best dragon ever, he hung out on my shoulder all day. It is like someone switched animals on me last night. He seems to have way too much energy and does not know what to do with it. Is this him wanting a girlfriend? It is the only thing I can think of. He is just under ten months old and it seems a little young to me, but I don’t know about these things as this is my first beardie. Help…… gatoric

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that age it's common for them to go a little nuts and have a ton of energy. I'd just let him run around and try to burn it off. There isn't a whole lot else to do other than wait him out. He should calm down and return to normal after a while. Bear with him =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom