general advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have 2 female beardies and are just coming up to 7 months old and would like to know if they are at a good size. i have measured them from snout to tip of tail which was 17inch but i am not sure if you are meant to measuring them from the snout to bum or to tip of tail.
just one more thing, i feed my beardies 7 giant m.w s each in the morning and leave them with a big bowl of fruit and veg for the day as i am at work and it is gone when i get home and then they have a good amount of crickets but they still seem to want to eat and eat. don't know if i am not letting them have enough or if they are just fatties. Thanks for taking a look and any help will be welcome.

MissT

BD.org Addict
17 inches seems a good length for 7 month old beardies and yes, you are measuring them correctly.

Just curious but are those giant meal worms morio/superworms or just regular giant mealworms? The reason I ask is because giant mealworms are mostly chitin shell and can cause impaction whereas the risks with superworms are much lower.

At 7months, they should be allowed to eat as much as they want in a 10minute period, 2x per day so you may wish to feed them more in the morning. Is it possible that you need to upgrade the size of crickets? Remember not to feed crickets which are longer than the width between the beardies eyes!

Good Luck!

T

tonybeeson

Original Poster
hi, thanks for your reply. yes they are giant meal worms and have been feeding them to them for a while and seem to be fine with them, they are also having large crickets at about the size you said. locust are a treat. don't know if you can advise me on this but i was thinking of breeding crickets and if you have any good tips....it seems to cost a fortune with them eating so much! :banghead:
i have a self made w4ft x h2.5ft x d1.5ft viv, do you recommend me getting a bigger one for when they grow bigger? thanks

MissT

BD.org Addict
I would switch from the giant meal worms to the morio worms as these will be much healthier for them - from what I can remember giant meal worms are pumped full of hormones to make them larger which GREATLY reduces their nutritional value.

Im not sure about breeding crickets. Personally, I dont feed crickets at all but thats just because I hate them!!! I use morio worms and locusts as staple feeders and I have heard that the morio worms (superworms) arent too difficult too breed - do a search on the site and Im sure you will get some info on that!

Your viv has great dimensions for an adult. Are you planning to keep them both together as adults?

* im going to ask a moderator to move this to one of the main forums - you should get more replies that way :D

tonybeeson

Original Poster
hi thanks for that i will try them instead. I will be keepin them together as i got them from babies and are sisters i am going to get a male some time in the future tho as considering breeding them when they are adults. do you have any sound advise on this? ps as i am new to this site how do i post my questions into the forums?? thanks

MissT

BD.org Addict
just choose the 'area' you want to post in, then it should say 'new topic' along the top of the page!!!

I cant really give any advice on breeding as I have never done it.... possibly, in the future, I might. If you get a male you will def have to house him seperately. Read up on breeding on this forum - theres loads of great advice in the breeding section!

Good luck!

T

tonybeeson

Original Poster
thanks for the info...just one more..lol don't seem to be able to uploads pics, keeps telling me they are too big to put on my profile, is there anyway off attached them to my responses like on yours? thanks :?

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
Try photobucket.com to upload you pics.

Generally people on this board will advise you about NOT housing them together, even though they are sisters, as they are solitary and teritorial creatures. And you DEFINATELY NOT house a male & female together as it is very stressful for the female as the male will overbreed her. I'm sure others can chime in and show you the horror pics of what happens, or you can just check out the rescue forum.

I have yet to breed but I know that a female should be at least 18 months old before being bred and I think the male should be at least a year old but that I'm not sure about.

Hope this helps.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I cant even remember how I did that.... I think I just uploaded to photobucket.com and then adjusted the size before copying the link over to here..... im really not too sure tho!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom