Gasping and Tremors?! Advice needed

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
So I put my bearded dragon in the bath and all of a sudden he had these tremors near his head and made a gasping noise. I have posted about this before but no one thought it was a health issue. He did a weird poop in the bath with some red on his urate. When his poop came out it made this farting noise which kinda scared me. To be honest his poop smelled but the smell died down really fast. Does he have an impaction? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4640.jpeg
    IMG_4640.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4641.mov
    3.1 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 28

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I put my bearded dragon in the bath and all of a sudden he had these tremors near his head and made a gasping noise. I have posted about this before but no one thought it was a health issue. He did a weird poop in the bath with some red on his urate. When his poop came out it made this farting noise which kinda scared me. To be honest his poop smelled but the smell died down really fast. Does he have an impaction? Help will be greatly appreciated.
Hes definitely hydrated and dragons do pass gas-- how often is he having head tremors and where do you have the UVB placed in the tank? Is it a T 5 ?

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Hes definitely hydrated and dragons do pass gas-- how often is he having head tremors and where do you have the UVB placed in the tank? Is it a T 5 ?
Thanks for answering so quickly. He has never done a poop exactly like that. I personally think he has a bit too much tremors but they aren’t just near his head they are like on his stomach, legs etc. His UVB light it placed on the cool side. It is not a T5 as it does not fit in the screw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 23

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for answering so quickly. He has never done a poop exactly like that. I personally think he has a bit too much tremors but they aren’t just near his head they are like on his stomach, legs etc. His UVB light it placed on the cool side. It is not a T5 as it does not fit in the screw.
Head tremors are not good --- muscle spasms are normal -- what is the brand and bulb your using for the UVB ? How old ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Head tremors are not good --- muscle spasms are normal -- what is the brand and bulb your using for the UVB ? How old ?
Ok the red light please get rid of along w/ the coil bulb---- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb example Flukers basking -- Exo Terra Intense -- or a Arcadia Halogen --- please upgrade your tank its too small for the dragon ---- the coil is a UVB ? If so your dragon is getting sick coils and red bulbs are terrible for their health --- you need two digital probe thermometers one for the cool side of the tank 80ish and one for the basking side --- place on the spot where he basks -- you want temps 95-100 -- please do this ASAP---- the head tremors are NOT good

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Ok the red light please get rid of along w/ the coil bulb---- you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb example Flukers basking -- Exo Terra Intense -- or a Arcadia Halogen --- please upgrade your tank its too small for the dragon ---- the coil is a UVB ? If so your dragon is getting sick coils and red bulbs are terrible for their health --- you need two digital probe thermometers one for the cool side of the tank 80ish and one for the basking side --- place on the spot where he basks -- you want temps 95-100 -- please do this ASAP---- the head tremors are NOT good
I was thinking of getting ceramic heaters for him. You can only use coils for his tank. His tank is actually bigger than a 75 gallon yet it is somehow a 60 gallon. Ok I will get more thermometers. Thanks for the advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I was thinking of getting ceramic heaters for him. You can only use coils for his tank. His tank is actually bigger than a 75 gallon yet it is somehow a 60 gallon. Ok I will get more thermometers. Thanks for the advice.
The coil is making your dragon sick - please get a long tube fixture-- the head tremors are a sign of mbd- it's only going to get worse- ceramic heat emitters are not good basking bulbs they do not emit UVA and will not get surface basking temps to what you need

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
The coil is making your dragon sick - please get a long tube fixture-- the head tremors are a sign of mbd- it's only going to get worse- ceramic heat emitters are not good basking bulbs they do not emit UVA and will not get surface basking temps to what you need
I will change his lights.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would be good. Thanks
Here are 3 good UVB's please choose one of them
I would get a 24" fixture and work on getting your tank upgraded - dragons need floor space not height and w/ yours having head tremors now you dont want him climbing a lot - he could loose his balance and fall off that log you have in the tank --
Zoo Med comes w/ a Reptisun 5.0 you want the bulb I am going to post for this one
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
this one you can find at Pet Smart if you have one
you will need the 12% bulb 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
this one you want the 2 ft or 24" please change the bulb out to the one above that I posted
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
this UVB should be placed unobstructed for the best UVB rays he can get we need to stop the tremors I would try and get it in the tank directly above a piece of basking decor around 12-13 inches

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Does he have tremors all of the time or just sometimes? As Karrie has suggested, his UVB light does need to be changed out so be sure you do get that done as soon as you can.
Are you giving a good calcium supplement?
Are you also using a digital probe or a temp gun to measure his temperatures?
The orange tint in his urates is pretty normal. That can happen with supplementation or sometimes various foods will cause some discoloration.
Let us know how things are going with your boy.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom