Gapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eragon is a 19 month old male. I have been watching his basking more closely lately and now realize that he is gapping everytime.
I lowered his temp down to 85 and he still is doing it. HELP! Why would he be overheating so easily. He does not poop everyday but when he does there is fluid. I didn't think he was dehydrated but maybe I'm wrong. I do mis him everyday several times also.
He is still trying to brumate and I keep pulling him out. I am removing his hiding room today.

Any ideas why? Is this dangerous to him?

Cheryl

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Actually this is quite natural, and since you lowered the temps, I doubt this is an issue.
I think that Eragon, is busy thinking up things to send you into a flurry !
Hugs and keep us posted !
Janie.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
cherylann229":aa29d said:
Eragon is a 19 month old male. I have been watching his basking more closely lately and now realize that he is gapping everytime.
I lowered his temp down to 85 and he still is doing it. HELP! Why would he be overheating so easily. He does not poop everyday but when he does there is fluid. I didn't think he was dehydrated but maybe I'm wrong. I do mis him everyday several times also.
He is still trying to brumate and I keep pulling him out. I am removing his hiding room today.

Any ideas why? Is this dangerous to him?

Cheryl

hello
sorry mine havent brumated yet so i wouldnt know about that part but let me get this right, so hes gaping everytime hes under his basking rock? if so this is normal.
he has lots of fluid in his poop? if he is well hydrated then yes this is also normal, if hes not well hydrated this could be a sign of parasites. is it really smelly also?
so at 85f hes still gaping? this is where it doesnt quite sound right, does he gape even at his cool end? what temperature is it up the cool end? how often would you have said he is gaping? surely he cant still be hot enough to gape at this low temperature which could signify that its an RI, i really wouldnt recommend misting him or his home as this can raise the humidity too much therefore that can cause an RI also. id just bath him in luewarm water just above his elbows just make sure his vent is below water level as this is how they take in water. so have you noticed any popping, mucous or other wheezing type sounds from him at all?
keep us posted!

cherylann229

Original Poster
His cool side is at 75. He has a basking light. He gapes almost as soon as he is under the light. I don't think he even really is warmed up when he starts to gape. It almost seems like a habit as I have been watching him. He sees the light, open goes the mouth. He does not do it the whole time. It is off and on. He had his bath today, which he really has not taken a liking to yet.
After a year you would think he would give in.(stubborn) Poop has alot of water included. Appetite is still lousy. Breathing seems quiet and fine. I wish he would eat more. He does not eat everyday. Will poor lighting make a bad appetite??

Comment please!!!
Cheryl & Eragon

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Yes, Cheryl, it can.
What light are you using ? As for distance from a basking, 12" should be fine, don't want to burn Eragon, though we do want him to be warm enough.
I totally missed the gaping at 85* ! I thought it was 95* ! Sorry, I hate being dyslexic ! I normally don't do that, my apologies !
Janie.

cherylann229

Original Poster
I use a reti-glo 10.0. There is one of those at each end and te regular bulb in the middle. The basking light is in a dome with a
dimmer on it. He has been gaping on and off for the last 2 hrs. What is the best lighting? Is the set-up good to use?

Cheryl & Eragon

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Aha ! You will want to change that out for a ReptiSun 10.0. It is the best tube UVB on the market. If you go to Petmountian.com you can order one for around $20. I think the code for a discount is PETS.
In the meantime, go ahead and turn off that glo and remove it. The Sun should be at your home in a week, and your dragon won't miss the UVB in that short of time. Just make sure you have a really bright tube light, a shop light will do fine, until the Sun is installed.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello cheryl and eragon
i agree with zebraflavencs you definitely want the reptisun 10.0, that is the best bulb, the reptiglos are bad news along with all coil and compact bulbs, he should improve a lot with the reptisun for sure.

so theres no strange sounds coming from then? yet hes gaping a lot at even low temperatures? hmm not sure if you should up the temperatures or not in case it is the start of an RI, i would wait till someone with better experience in this sort of things comes along. sorry.

the bad bulb could be a huge indicator for him not eating very well.

so hes not overally hydrated and his poops real runny still? how often does he have bowel movements? is it smelly? have you ever had a fecal done?
hope your tube bulb gets there soon!
:D

cherylann229

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the info we greatly appreciate it! As for his poop, just the normal smell. Not really too stinky at all. As far as ppop goes.(lol) Since he does not eat regularly, there is no regular schedule for poop! He does go shortly after he eats.
After I clean his tank he seems to go, of course.

I have had a fecal done every 6 months. They have tested good. The vet said to give him the worm medicine automatic every 6
months. Any opinions on that advice????

I will be going to check out the website for the bulbs I am going to buy next. Thanks!

Cheryl & Eragon

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hello
so his poop is checked regularly and its come back all clear recently? how long ago?
they can carry a low number of parasites and worms in their guts anyway and something inparticular could accelerate those levels to the point of treatment and that can happen really quickly.
im really not sure whether you should medicate regardless every 6 months, i think if you actually noticed his poop being quite smelly and runny then id consult the vet whether to then treat or not, in the meantime i dont think i would medicate id definitely consult the vet beforehand i think.
so what bulb have you gone with then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom