Gaping a sign of overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGTrauger

Hi all,

I have an approx 11" nose to tail beardie who has recently started gaping when the thermometer is showing 102° is this normal? I have read on the forums here that this is normal but the book "your happy healthy pet: bearded dragon 2nd edition" by Steve Grenard says when they gape it's a sign they are close to being "cooked." which is correct? I have the Zilla thermometer with probe on her wooden half log where she basks. She has plenty of room to move to the cool side of her terrarium (a 40 gallon "long") but remains under the Mega-Ray 100 watt MVB lamp. Should I raise the lamp higher up or is she fine? Ohh I should add I just got the Mega Ray a week ago where she previously had a normal household 100 watt bulb with daily outtings in the sun on my patio.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Its called thermo regulating! It is their way to regulate their body's temperature!! Its like us sweating! Also the light should be 12-14 inches away from your beardies basking point! Good luck...... :wink:

AGTrauger

Original Poster
Ahhh I got it now thanks for the replies! Whew I feel better then since I do have the MVB approx 12" away from her (directly over the half-log at her favorite basking spot on it). I was worried when seeing people saying their beardies were within 6-8" of the light and not being too hot. Then I won't move the lamp to the side everytime I see her gaping for more than a few seconds :lol:

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
AGTrauger":62e74 said:
Ahhh I got it now thanks for the replies! Whew I feel better then since I do have the MVB approx 12" away from her (directly over the half-log at her favorite basking spot on it). I was worried when seeing people saying their beardies were within 6-8" of the light and not being too hot. Then I won't move the lamp to the side everytime I see her gaping for more than a few seconds :lol:
LOL moving the lamp.
You're set up sounds to be perfect.
As twobeardieguy said this is the way they thermoregulate their body temps.
At 102 you are not cooking you're dragon.
Throw them books away and anything you need to know can be found right here.
Most of the books in pet shops is old information and there are lots of BD
owners in here with much knowledge of what works and what doesn't.
Wemcome to the BD sight and have fun with you're dragon
Mike D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom