Fully red urate, mucus covered poo - please help!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
1692312478686.jpeg

It may not look it from the picture but this urate is deep red, not a white spot in sight. The poo is covered in mucus, though it isn’t very visible in the picture. I’m worried he’s caught parasites. Again. He was treated and came back with a clean pallet but did they never really go away? Did he get more?

Some background information to support my point: his diet consists of 50/50 between live and veg, usually two salads daily (kale, collards, butternut squash) with 30 crickets (calcium +D3 5/7 times a week, multivitamin 2/7 days a week) and 30 BSFL (undusted).

He hasn’t eaten anything red recently, his feeders are no longer fed the orange cricket diet. His enclosure is spot cleaned daily with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar and deep cleaned monthly. Poo is cleaned immediately after/once I get home from work.

Thanks,

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
View attachment 83074
It may not look it from the picture but this urate is deep red, not a white spot in sight. The poo is covered in mucus, though it isn’t very visible in the picture. I’m worried he’s caught parasites. Again. He was treated and came back with a clean pallet but did they never really go away? Did he get more?

Some background information to support my point: his diet consists of 50/50 between live and veg, usually two salads daily (kale, collards, butternut squash) with 30 crickets (calcium +D3 5/7 times a week, multivitamin 2/7 days a week) and 30 BSFL (undusted).

He hasn’t eaten anything red recently, his feeders are no longer fed the orange cricket diet. His enclosure is spot cleaned daily with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar and deep cleaned monthly. Poo is cleaned immediately after/once I get home from work.

Thanks,
This was his poop 7 days ago:
1692317633869.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can have a colored urate from time to time, other than that it looks within the normal range of what to expect. It IS possible that he has parasites but even so the poo can look totally normal or somewhat off.
His poo from 7 days ago looks like he eats a little too much veggie's, I think you said 2 salads a day ? Also the bsfl coming through without being digested is common, especially for larger dragons, and when that happens they don't get any nutrition from them. Try to switch to a better feeder insect like dubia, crickets, silkworms.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
They can have a colored urate from time to time, other than that it looks within the normal range of what to expect. It IS possible that he has parasites but even so the poo can look totally normal or somewhat off.
His poo from 7 days ago looks like he eats a little too much veggie's, I think you said 2 salads a day ? Also the bsfl coming through without being digested is common, especially for larger dragons, and when that happens they don't get any nutrition from them. Try to switch to a better feeder insect like dubia, crickets, silkworms.
His urates have not been fully white ever since his first bought of parasites began, usually it is two smaller salads or one big salad a day. BSFL aren’t his only staple, crickets are fed daily. Also, it is only the skin left behind, everything inside the larvae is digested.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, hope everything turns out alright. As for the bsfl, it states right on the website that it's not uncommon for them to pass right through the digestive tract whole and even alive. They suggest pricking them open with a pin, so maybe that's what you do but I wouldn't bother with them if my beardie couldn't digest them.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
O.K, hope everything turns out alright. As for the bsfl, it states right on the website that it's not uncommon for them to pass right through the digestive tract whole and even alive. They suggest pricking them open with a pin, so maybe that's what you do but I wouldn't bother with them if my beardie couldn't digest them.
Alright! That is good to know, I actually serve them in a dish that they keep squirming out of so that could solve my problem! I had no idea they could pass alive- that’s crazy, must be pretty uncomfortable I’d imagine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom