full grown bearded dragon an 20 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanchezjc

Hatchling Member
Ok so,I got a 17inch bearded drahon he is full grown already can I ahouse him in yhe 20gallon he really doesnt move.much he lazy so I thot I,could down size him from his 75 gallontank what are the worst things that can.happen

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
His minimum enclosure size should be a 40 gallon breeder and a 4x2x2 is always recommended, a 20 gallon would be way too small.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
20 gallons is radiculous! 40 gallon should be the minimum and even that is rather small for a full grown beardie. If you still have the 75 gallon tank you should definatley move your dragon back into there, even if they do not move much, they still would like this.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
Never listen to pet shop advice :)
I saw a pet store house 4 adults in a 55 gallon, but that doesn't mean it's right or should be done.
I've also seen petstores house babies on sand, the one I was in yesterday had a baby beardie with a red light and nothing else in the middle of the day, I went back today to exchange something and he still only had a red light and the cage he was in had 3 black walls and the glass front so it was really dark and I asked the employee if he ever gets any other light and he told me no, he only needs the red heat lamp. I actually don't know if I've ever seen a petstore have UVB on their babies. Even some of the petsmarts around me don't use UVB, but 2 do.
I had one petstop try to sell me 3 babies and told me I couldn't buy just one because he would get lonely depressed and eventually die. Another guy told me if I bought 2 (they were brother and sister) that they would never mate and if by chance they did I could just sell the babies or bring them in and they would sell them.

There are the few that know what their talking about to some extent, but majority don't.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Pet stores do everything wrong. Don't model any care or husbandry after what you hear about or see in a pet store. A 20 gallon wouldn't even allow a full grown beardie to turn around, let alone thermoregulate correctly. Even if you could create a proper temperature gradient, half the dragon would be warm while the other half was cold. A 40 gallon breeder is the absolute minimum size enclosure for an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinny2010b
Top Bottom