Fruit Flies in the dubia bin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I have fruit flies in my dubia bin! Does anyone else get these? I only leave half an orange in there every 2 days, and I take it out once eaten (it takes maybe a day for them to eat it) Other than that, not other fruits get left in my bin. Now I have them in my bathroom from the escape they made from the dubia bin!

How the heck to do you kill fruit flies? Can I put the bin outside for a bit with the cover open and hope they will all fly away?

leave the bin open a bit so they can get out and put a little dish/cup with some apple cider vinegar with a bit of some dish soap and put it by the bin, or in it if you can make it so the dubia don't get in it, it attracts the flys and kills them then keeps them away. ive had to start keeping a dish with some vinegar and soap in it by my baby beardie's tank because for some reason if i dont have any sort of bug prevention her tank gets infested with fruit flys. even if i do an extreme deep cleaning.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Mine's always had them. I notice them laying eggs in the dead roaches, and occasionally I'll find the maggots in the water crystals. I just take mine out once a week, shake out the egg cartons, and get out as many flies as I can see. It's greatly reduced the number that's in there. I have read of a fruit fly trap you can make to trap them, and putting fly tape across the top of the lid.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
I've been having fruit flies all summer in my basement. I make these traps and get most of them.
FruitFlyTrap002.jpg

It's a simple trap, easy to make.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets this. I did get some vinegar and put it around the tank. I'm hoping once winter comes they go away!

hammerhead

Juvie Member
They do go away once winter comes. If they are driving you nuts make a trap and it gets most of them.
FruitFlyTrap004.jpg

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
lauraj1055":39sn28o4 said:
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets this. I did get some vinegar and put it around the tank. I'm hoping once winter comes they go away!

I make traps using the "mini round" Glad containers. Get a fork, use a lighter to warm it up so it goes through plastic, poke it through the lid a couple times, put about half an inch of apple cider vinegar in the container, put on lid, put it in the dubia bin. I have one of these in each of my bins. I usually only see two or three flies per container each time I open it, but then I check on the traps after a week or so and there's easily 50+ dead ones in each trap.

Make sure you're cleaning out any dead dubia as soon as you see them, and make sure your bins are well ventilated. The flies like to lay their eggs in damp, dark places, meaning your dubia bins are pretty much their dream home, especially if you let the humidity get up higher than necessary.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well, the vinegar is attracting them.. but DUH I didn't build a contraption to catch them so as soon as I grab the bowl of vinegar they all fly away.. so I'm off to build one of these you guys suggested.

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
odd i have had 0 fruit flies since getting my dubias

but all i give them are left over collard greens to eat and have not had any issues thus far

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Rud3Bwoy":68nnsshw said:

but all i give them are left over collard greens to eat and have not had any issues thus far

Hi,
Do you feed *only* collard greens? Do you feed dog/cat food for protein?
Just curious, I have wondered what we really need to feed them in order for them to be good feeders for our dragons?

I started out giving them all sorts of things LOL Now it is an orange (I don't do water crystals anymore) and ground up dog food. I throw the large stems from the greens in there sometimes, but find it a pain to clean out the bin if there is too much stuff, so I am keeping it simple now.

Ooops! Sorry Laura!! did not intend to jack your thread! But I am happy to hear there is a solution, and keeping to the original post.......thank you for the trap ideas LOL Now I know what to do if it happens to me :D

Sherri

Rud3Bwoy

Sub-Adult Member
Sherri":2f7lggyn said:
Rud3Bwoy":2f7lggyn said:

Hi,
Do you feed *only* collard greens? Do you feed dog/cat food for protein?
Just curious, I have wondered what we really need to feed them in order for them to be good feeders for our dragons?

I started out giving them all sorts of things LOL Now it is an orange (I don't do water crystals anymore) and ground up dog food. I throw the large stems from the greens in there sometimes, but find it a pain to clean out the bin if there is too much stuff, so I am keeping it simple now.

Ooops! Sorry Laura!! did not intend to jack your thread! But I am happy to hear there is a solution, and keeping to the original post.......thank you for the trap ideas LOL Now I know what to do if it happens to me :D

Sherri

i only give collard greens to be honest.the person i got them from fed them other good feeders,the person who i bought them from lives locally and sells on this forum,i for got what she use to give them tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syafiqmust
Top Bottom