Frequent egg-laying older beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Last July Loki laid a clutch of unfertilized eggs after digging a hole in my flower bed. She was about 5 1/2 years old and that was her first time laying eggs.

Ok, June 5th of this year she laid another 35 eggs same place in the back yard. Again, unfertilized.

Today, after a week of scratching around in her enclosure, I finally let her outside where (to my disbelief) she dug another hole and laid 21 eggs.

She is doing fine now. I fed her a superworm, gave her a bath, and put her back in her cage. Right now she's calm and basking under her light.

Is this frequent egg-laying after all these years of NO egg-laying common? She's no young dragon anymore. I'm getting worried about the toll this could be taking on her health. I realize that nature takes its course, but is there anything I can do to put a stop to it? Or discourage this behavior? Any advice is appreciated. Anything I can do for her now? Besides her normal food and supplements?

Thank you!

I would not go as far as to say it was “common” as each dragon tends to be different as I’m sure you are aware. Is there anything you can do to stop it? I don’t think so. Altering nature is not an easy task. :lol: Proper supplementation and plenty of food will keep her as healthy as you can and help to regain lost stores.

edit: spelling

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I realize asking how to stop the course of nature is a ridiculous question, but I was just wondering if there is something that triggers this behavior. This is the second batch of eggs in two months for a total of 50-something eggs. That seems like an extraordinary amount to me.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
As long as Her diet is well rounded she is going to be fine. 50 eggs in 2 clutches is nowhere near uncommon, its quite normal in-fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom