found dandelion greens! toothless doesn't like them

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
So I finally found some dandelion greens at this grocery store called "fresh market". But toothless isn't interested in them, like at all. His favorites are mustard greens, he will chow down on those, and he loves spring mix but that does make his stool have a high water content. The problem is when I buy two different types of greens, the bunches are so huge that I don't use enough of them and it goes bad, so I went back to buying one variety at a time. I wish I could buy smaller bags of mustard or collard greens, *sigh. And yes I could cook them but I am the only one that eats them. My husband likes kale but that's not good for bearded dragons....
so I am open to suggestions.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You should check out http://www.beautifuldragons.com the nutrition section. the list is huge & I've been reading it since 2006. My crew only like butternut squash, collard greens & bok choy, won't eat much else, but the list is huge & includes plants & flowers at the end. It's colour coded to show if something is good for every day, sometimes, or never. It's a great list so check it out.

Matticus

Odd as it may sound but my little guy was having BMs with high water content when I was feeding him Dandelion Greens. I also found a lot of undigested pieces in his BM. I just switched to Collard Greens to see how he does with them.

I use the list from http://www.beautifuldragons.com. It is a great resource!

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I've known about the reference on the beautiful dragons site since before I even bought my bearded dragon. Yes he also gets various squashes and veggies mixed with his greens. I actually noticed him eating some dandilion greens today although he was trying very hard to pick out all the pieces of yellow squash. (his favorite). He likes spaghetti squash, but he didn't seem to care for butternut squash.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
I bet if you keep exposing him to them he'll decide on his own that they're not awful. Dubs never embraces a new food the first time, but usually by the fourth or fifth he'll give it a try. And his opinion changes frequently - one day he'll dive headfirst into collards and ignore turnip and mustard greens, and a week later the only thing left in his dish is collards. I swear they're just like pre-schoolers!

And kale isn't necessarily bad for them, it's just not an "every day" food. I give it to mine a few times a week; sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I might suggest that you just pull some nice leaves out of each bunch instead of buying the whole thing. Just get a bag in the produce section and fill it with however much you want. Of course if you're getting different types of greens that are different prices per pound, you'll need a bag for each type. They will let you do that at most grocery stores. Then they weigh your little bunch at the check out.

ashleyelsha

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":31v5q1z3 said:
I might suggest that you just pull some nice leaves out of each bunch instead of buying the whole thing. Just get a bag in the produce section and fill it with however much you want. Of course if you're getting different types of greens that are different prices per pound, you'll need a bag for each type. They will let you do that at most grocery stores. Then they weigh your little bunch at the check out.

wish I could do, but the greens in my area are sold by the BUNCH, not by weight. So it is the same amount for the entire bunch. And some stores will have say, bunches of collards, but only bags of kale, mustard, and turnip greens. So My only choice is to buy the whole bag or the whole bunch.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Know how you feel, same is at the grocery stores where I live, can't get less than a bunch or a bag, same price either way. So alot of stuff goes rotten here, too, but can't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom