Found a perfect cave/basking item

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuzu

(I thought about putting this in the Enclosure section, but that seemed for questions and talking about the enclosure as a whole. If admins want to move this there, that is okay!)

I've always been on the lookout for the best cave/basking combo item, and I actually found one days ago at Petsmart and I want to share with you all :)

Here's a pic I just took, after Eren had eaten and was basking. For size reference, he is 2 years old and his tank is a 40gal.

tumblr_nr8x8yh9dJ1sjbo6ko1_540.jpg

I was worried about it being too big to fit in the enclosure, but it fits perfectly. It is nice and large with a relatively level surface, great for basking. The cave itself and the entrance are also large. This is probably the first cave I've seen in stores that is an appropriate size for adult (and juvenile) beardies. The fake wood/rock textures are not sharp.

Here's a link to it on Petsmart's store: http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/ha...36-catid-500027?var_id=36-27163&_t=pfm=search

It's not sold online (yet hopefully) but you can check to see if it available in a Petsmart near you there.

jblair89

This is exactly what I have been looking for. What temps do your tiles reach under the basking light (75w 100w?) I use carpet now, but really want to switch for cleaning purposes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's really nice looking & it appears that she loves it also. :D
I can just leave your thread here in the general discussion for you.

Tracie

Zuzu

Original Poster
jblair89":wvgu2juu said:
This is exactly what I have been looking for. What temps do your tiles reach under the basking light (75w 100w?) I use carpet now, but really want to switch for cleaning purposes.

I'm not sure since my current temp reader in there is either broken or needs new batteries (and I'm out of state), and the cave covers the basking area. I don't remember but I think I use a 100w.

However I don't think they get burning hot. I definitely recommend slate tile 100%. I've used paper towel, news paper and the reptile carpet and the tile is by far the best and easiest to clean. :)

And thank you Tracie!! :D

dezismom

Juvie Member
That looks like a perfect cave/basking combo for a beardie!! I haven't seen one in our Petsmart yet, but sure will be on the look out for one. May I ask about the cost?

Most hides I have seen have an opening too small for a full size adult Beardie. (especially if he is on the larger side) The basking spot "rocks" are often too small for Dez to really stretch out on, or they are not wide enough at bottom to provide good stability. Having a separate cave and basking rock takes up alot of space! I really like this!

One thing I have noticed that might be worth mentioning: the artifical rocks made of that hard plastic can get a bit hot under the basking light. Dez was not using his, until one day I placed my hand on it, and felt how warm It was--not enought to burn, but uncomfortable to my hand. I figured it would be even more uncomfortable for a soft, tender Beardie belly. I covered it with some rubber waffle like material made to place under rugs, and Dezi immediately started using it! (It is not as big as it needs to be; his entire tail hangs off, and it just barely fits his body)

Thank you for sharing such a nifty cave/Basking combo!

Betty53218

Hatchling Member
I ordered this online when Petsmart had a free shipping day. It was $30. Works really well and Smaug loves it!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Looks very nice.

My big girl Rex (now 3.5 yrs old) and her brother Puff (rip Dec2015) had resin fake log hides most their lives (I upsized to JUMBO HUBBAHUTs in October2015 as they were both too big to comfortably curl up or turn around inside their old hides (didn't stop them from trying (and sometimes giving us a fright when they looked stuck while trying turnabout under them).
Very durable and relatively easy to clean, just don't drop them on hard surfaces, they can break as they seem to / become brittle (after years of intense UV exposure).

My little ones Peppa and Toothless recently outgrew their SMALL HUBBAHUTs and now have Rex and Puff's old acrylic fake log hides and love them.
This is Peppa and Toothless's hides http://www.reptiledirect.com.au/p/297/GLG-119-Half-Log-Hide-29cm.html , small for a full grown beardie, but great for a hatchling or juvenile beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom