Found a beardie....

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
Hey guys! So my neighbor called me about 2 hours ago and said she found a bearded dragon in her mom's driveway. Said it almost scared her half to death and she almost stepped on it! She asked if she could bring him to my house. She related to me that a lady down the road may have lost him but she's not sure. She went to the house but no one was home so she left a note and her number.

He seems to be doing good so far. I gave him a bath - he was filthy! Covered in dirt, leaves and cobwebs. He is missing two nails and the entire fifth digit on his right back foot. He has a scar on his left side which is already healed. There seems to be a nice sized lump on his left forearm but it doesn't seem to be causing him any pain or discomfort. He's moving all around and trying to escape from the viv I set him up in. This poor guys seems to have pretty extensive damage to the bottom of his beard/neck area which is mostly healed and scarred. As a matter of fact, when he was black bearding, some of this area stays pink where the scarring is but there seems to be some skin protruding outward, meaning the edges of this wound are not well aprroximated. This small section that protrudes is still able to turn black. There's no blood or scabs. He is shedding a bit.

I gave him a bath, made him a salad of greens and offered worms (which he did not eat). I believe it's a male. I was only able to snap two pics so far. You aren't able to see the damage to his beard but at least you can see what he looks like. The kids want to keep him but we'll wait to see if this woman claims him and if not, we'll place an ad in the paper. I am a little conflicted because of the injuries (the woman we think he belongs to has 7 cats - maybe that's where the damage came from?). He's a little bit skinny but otherwise okay.

Here's his pics:
photo-128.jpg

photo-127.jpg

He get upset when I try to look at his beard. I will try to get pics of that scarring tomorrow.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
He's probably been living on his own for awhile. The beard damage may have resulted from a fight with a cat or something similar. He sounds like a trooper!

anamlgrl

Hatchling Member
If you decide not to keep him we would possibly be able to take him. We have everything needed and just got a new batch of ReptiSun bulbs in. :D

I am in South Jersey right over the Commodore Barry Bridge.

Thanks for helping him & keep us updated.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Poor thing.. I agree he must have been out on his own for awhile. Either someone lost him when they had him outside, or someone let him go on purpose.. What a trooper.. I guess these guys can really survive out there on their own! I hope you keep him! (that's if someone doesn't claim him)

sheri85

Juvie Member
aw poor thing. it's so good that you took him in. hope you can find his owner, but if not i'm sure he's got a good home with you! keep us updated.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, I'm so so glad that you took him in! I hope you'll be able to keep him. Poor lil' guy :( he sure is a trooper!
Keep up the good work!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
After talking to you last night Jane I had some time to think about this for a bit. If you get him to a vet (and I would) have them give you a general anti-biotic as a precaution. Cat bites or scratches have a nasty tendency to lead to infections.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Jane
He/she looks adorable even with his injuries--isnt it nice for Wolfman TOm to be local. I would take him to the vet to have him checked out. I hope your dh changes his mind and lets u keep him, if not maybe hold him for a few months then put an ad in a vets office (or I can convince dh myself LOL!)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I disagree.
To me it doesn't look like a dragon that has been out on its own for awhile. Its too well built to have been out on its own for too long. But it really isn't important how long hes been out whats important is you're taking care of him now.

I do think you should be equally worried about finding the owner instead of planning on keeping him. You have to put yourself in the actual owners shoes. It looks like the dragon was taken well care of by someone who obviously loves him. I don't think its right to keep him until you're sure you've done all you can to locate the owner.

-Brandon

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Brandon
She did say they are trying to locate the owner--I believe they said they have called her as well as left a note on the supposed owner's door. I know this person and she will only keep him after all avenues to find its owner are exhausted.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Jane contact me if the owner does not want him or can not be found. We may be willing to take him in as we live close to you. :D We have two beardies and we would not mind having another one.

Jpiroden

Hatchling Member
By the look of the date this post was made, i believe she found the owner :) or she just forgot about this thread. but whatever it is, I'm glad you took in the beardie most people would have shrieked and either ignored it, run it over ect..ect..ect..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom