for all of you who have mastered the fake rocks/hides/climbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha489

so i need your imput. i was watching a video on youtube and this is the order everything was done in
styrofoam
liquid nail glue
non sanding grout
non toxic acrylic paint
100 % non toxic acrylic sealer
sand for traction

ok so i went to home depot today and had a hard time finding the grout. do you know the brand of it? and what section to find it in? and i couldnt find a sealer? do you know a brand of that? and what section its located in? is that the right order to do everything in? and also if id i would want to permanently adhere lets say styrofoam steps to my glass tank what could i use?

hartungs

Hatchling Member
I think the order is correct. You may also want to use an expandable foam insulation product to fill in some of the gaps. Once it dries, you can easily carve/shape it.

The grout at my local Home Depot/Lowe’s is located with the tiles. There is an entire aisle dedicated to it. There are many different types of grout as well as colors. There are “pre-made” grouting products that come in a tub and are “ready to go” and then there are powders that come in bags/boxes that you have to mix with water. It also comes in varying consistencies or sand content.

As far as sealers go, I would check in the paint department. It is usually with the stains and mineral spirits. If you can’t find it, just ask the “paint person” at the desk. They will know what you are talking about and point it out to you.

I am not sure what benefit permanently attaching the steps would give you. I think it would be more difficult to clean or re-decorate. If you are concerned about it moving, then I would suggest either double-sided tape or self-adhesive Velcro. This provides a secure hold that is not permanent.

sha489

Original Poster
thanks ya yesterday when i went all i found was expanding foam. lol now like thats really gonna help when i cant find anything else. so i keep walking around found grout stuff by the tiles but then i didnt know what to get so i bought tiles for spikes cage lol it looks nice atleast since i havent made him rocks.

Tigg

Juvie Member
POLYFILL is the most popular manufacturer.... Should be found in just about every hardware store in the tile section. You can use any colour and texture of grout.

sha489

Original Poster
ok so i have done everything to my rocks except i still need another layer or sealer on it. but i was wondering if its supposed to be rock hard bc i can push on it and if i do it hard enough it will break. and you can hear the styrofoam being smooshed.lol sp? but anywhom i drop one today and the corner got a huge indentation. is it suppose to be like that or did i do something wrong? heres what i did
i glued it together with nail glue added some expanding foam did 3 layers of grout(non sanding) and now on my third layer of sealer(mod podge)

Tigg

Juvie Member
After 3 layers of grout it should be pretty solid, but I guess that would depend on how thick your layers were. Regardless, all you need to be concearned about is how strong the surface layer is, and whether or not it will stand up to the abuse of your beardies nails? Aside from that it should be strong enough to withstand anything your beardie will do to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom