food strike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

outrank17

Hatchling Member
So my Ty hasn't eaten a superworm in 5 or so days (yes, he's 17", he's big enough). I'm not too worried it or anything. I don't think he's lost weight, and he's still eating his salad and stuff. But since he hasn't really been eating, his stool has been almost nonexistent (save urates). His habitat is fine and nothings changed: 4X2X2; 100-105 degree basking; 80-85 degree cool side; reptisun 10.0 tube.

Why do these guys lay off the meat like they do every once in awhile?

cvisions

Hatchling Member
Have you tried offering something other than a superworm like crickets, phoenix worms, silkworms, roaches, etc? I think sometimes they get sick of the same thing day after day and appreciate a little variety.

Since my rescue dragon came to live with us back in early January, she would eat anything and everything offered her, she really hadn't been fed live feeders regularly and she was ravenous. Now that she knows there is plenty of food available here, she's become picky and refuses to even look at crickets.

I would say keep monitoring his weight and try offering a variety of feeders he may just be bored. How old is your dragon?

outrank17

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I assume no older than a year and a half or so. He's 17 inches, and I just recently got him from the vet, who got him from some people that didn't want him, a month ago. But yeah, I'll try to get my spoiled boy some crix or something, see if he'll budge.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
If he is a recent addition and you are having issue with him passing his poop I would be inclined to stop try to induce a bowel movement.
He could be impacted with sand or shells from his previous home.

Whenever I bring a new rescue home the first thing on my mind is getting them to poop!
You never know what their husbandry has been and you always want to have a check on their digestive system.

Natural laxatives are:
A nice warm bath daily with gentle massage from the top of your dragons armpit down to his vent.
Unsweetened apple sauce (put a blob on his nose or his salad)
A drop of olive oil (easy to drip into his mouth if he isnt eating at the moment)
Canned pumpkin

Soft bodied worms will be much easier for him to digest, so if you are ordering some Id try butter worms, pheonix worms or silkworms.
My favourite are butters because I order in bulk and tehy can keep in the fridge for up to 4 months.

All the best
Holly

Oh did we mention that we REALLY like pictures? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom